My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Perfect Tracking

Started by mt.simonson, 09/24/2009 03:02AM
Posted 09/24/2009 03:02AM Opening Post
Howdy all,

I've been using my Meade ETX 105 here for the past summer, and for some reason, I can barely get the GOTO function to actually, well, go to something. I've learned time must be an exact, as well as global position, but for some reason, my go-tos of Jupiter and Saturn are always on the very edge of my FOV.

As I will try to go to DSO's in the near future, I would like to be able to solve this problem so I can get some centered and "good=looking" DSO's.

Thanks,

Michael Simonson

(attached is my first picture with my DSI Pro, it was cloudy tonight)

Attached Image:

mt.simonson's attachment for post 48405
Posted 09/24/2009 08:25AM #1
Michael:

The planets are more difficult GOTO targets than DSOs because the GOTO unit has to actually compute the position of the planet location rather than just relying on a look up table of coordinates. So, it is likely that your Autostar will do a better job of centering the planets than it does the planets.

The long focal length and 1.25 inch eyepiece format do limit the possible TFoV of the ETX-105. Having an eyepiece like a 32mm Plossl will provide the maximum possible field of view and make centering those targets easier for the GOTO.

Jon
Posted 09/24/2009 11:35AM | Edited 09/24/2009 11:36AM #2
Michael Simonson said:

Howdy all,

I've been using my Meade ETX 105 here for the past summer, and for some reason, I can barely get the GOTO function to actually, well, go to something. I've learned time must be an exact, as well as global position, but for some reason, my go-tos of Jupiter and Saturn are always on the very edge of my FOV.

As I will try to go to DSO's in the near future, I would like to be able to solve this problem so I can get some centered and "good=looking" DSO's.

Thanks,

Michael Simonson

(attached is my first picture with my DSI Pro, it was cloudy tonight)

Have you tried go-tos to anything else? If the planets are the only problem, yes, location and time are fairly important (closest city and your watch are good enough).

Usually, ETX newbies have three problems:

Not properly setting the scope in Home Position.

Not aligning on the correct alignment stars (make sure you KNOW which star is Alderamin, etc.).

Not performing drive training, or not doing it right.

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/