Pricing discussion

Started by bobblack, 05/10/2008 02:17AM
Posted 05/10/2008 02:17AM Opening Post
I would like to purchase a high end used telescope but the prices seem so high.
Am I wrong or is the pricing that I'm seeing in line.
I have seen at least 3 ads in the refractors where they are asking a new price or very little under for a used scope.
Is there a reason that these used scopes would be worth what they cost new. One for sure is 25 years old.
I know everyone has the right to ask whatever they choose and I am OK with that. But am I missing something here? If a 20,000 dollar scope will be worth 21000 in ten years, then I might as well go out and buy one of them.(like I could!!!)ha ha
Thanks guys, bob
Posted 05/10/2008 03:49AM #1
Is there a reason that these used scopes would be worth what they cost new. One for sure is 25 years old.

A few things to consider:

- Telescopes can last several lifetimes if properly cared for. There is really nothing to wear out, reflectors can be recoated and the coatings on refractors can last a long, long time.

- Some of those older scopes were great values, I think all of us would love to buy an early Astro-Physics refractor at early Astro-Physics prices.

- Many of the older refractors are "collectable" and will only get more collectable. Again Astro-Physics scopes are in this catagory. And too, with Roland's unique approach to the market, a used A-P scope in the hand is worth more what a new one costs, given the wait for a new one.

jon
Posted 05/10/2008 01:31PM #2
robert black said:

I would like to purchase a high end used telescope but the prices seem so high.
Am I wrong or is the pricing that I'm seeing in line.
I have seen at least 3 ads in the refractors where they are asking a new price or very little under for a used scope.
I know everyone has the right to ask whatever they choose and I am OK with that. But am I missing something here? If a 20,000 dollar scope will be worth 21000 in ten years, then I might as well go out and buy one of them.(like I could!!!)ha ha
Thanks guys, bob

It's completely impossible to offer an opinion without knowing which high-end scope you are talking about. A used Celestron or Meade will depreciate. An A-P, the sky is the limit. It's simply a matter of supply and demand.

8)

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/