Solar Plage 11/15/2020 from Lake Ahern Observatory

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Comet Pan-STARRS and the Moon Setting

Started by hbastro, 03/15/2013 11:06AM
Posted 03/15/2013 11:06AM | Edited 03/15/2013 11:53AM Opening Post
I had the good fortune of spending a few days in the Sierras and the weather was clear most nights. It was clear at sunset on Tuesday so I managed a few shots of the comet and moon. I thought this one of the moon and comet setting was interesting so I thought I'd post it. I used a 300mm Nikon F/2.8 lens and a Nikon D7000 body. I have more images from the series on my website www.hbastro.com. Oh, the streak above and left of the moon is a jet flying across over the Central Valley.
Regards,
Dave

Attached Image:

hbastro's attachment for post 57305
Posted 03/16/2013 12:29PM #1
Very nice image. Thank you Dave!

"A wise man, ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
-David Hume
Posted 03/17/2013 10:10AM | Edited 03/17/2013 12:29PM #2
That's a beautiful image. Where in the Sierras were you?

I've been stuck in Fresno all week and haven't had the chance to venture out to a better site to see the comet. I saw it a couple times this week, including the same night you took this photo, but only through a gap in my neighborhood trees and only through the valley haze.

My wife and I hosted a star party last night for about 20 people, but the comet was behind clouds the whole time and we chased holes overhead. We got some solar viewing in and the Moon, Jupiter, Orion, etc put on a nice show when they were in the clear. I may have to go out again tonight.
Posted 03/18/2013 01:35AM #3
NICE photo! I like how you framed it all together. I finally located the comet earlier yesterday evening (Sunday) and was actually surprised how difficult it is to find naked eye way up here around 48 deg. N. It took at least 30mm binoculars to make out the tail.

All the best,

Andy S.

Just a few thoughts:

8) FS-152SV sitting in the office
grin Japanes super lucky zen observatory garden
:S Meade ETX-90 finder scope position
shocked Hino Optical Mizar 120SL observatory model
:C SR-4mm eyepiece with a 3x barlow in a 60mm refractor
8O Zeiss Victory 7x42 SFs
wink Having over 135 vintage oculars to play with
smile My life surrounded by wonderful friends and impeccable optics