Grabbing a Low Object with Astro Video

Started by rolandlinda3, 04/27/2010 01:38AM
Posted 04/27/2010 01:38AM Opening Post
M83 in early spring at my lattitude is pretty low, but I really like barred galaxies so it is hard to resist going after it through the murky atmosphere. I tried it on the 15th with light cirrus about mid evening but it was too low. After an hour wait and a retry I managed to find it with my C8 and a sloppy go-to. Using a Pro Dob astro video camera at 28 seconds integration and a 50% gain I was able to enjoy some of the structure and shape. Equatorial observers must have fun with this one since it would be bright and high.

Attached Image:

rolandlinda3's attachment for post 50816

Roland Beard
site: www.christworksministries.org
blog: www.rolandlinda3.wordpress.com
Posted 04/29/2010 04:25PM #1
I forgot the mention we have series on our site (address below the signature) that includes (so far) 4 sketches...the next one will be this one of M83 (pictured above). With the sketches we include a brief observation and comment. If interested, go to the Inspiration Page and hit any of the left hand sketch/stories titled "The Heavens and the Prophets". All the observations are within the Mar 31 through April time frame, were observed/sketched with astro video equipment attached to a C8 or 12.5 Dob, and include various galaxies plus Hubble's Variable Nebula.

Roland Beard
site: www.christworksministries.org
blog: www.rolandlinda3.wordpress.com