Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Saturn and M1

Started by darylc, 01/02/2003 12:44PM
Posted 01/02/2003 12:44PM Opening Post
New Year's Eve I had no problem seeing Saturn and M1 in the eyepiece at the same time. Panning Saturn out of the eyepiece made it much easier to see M1, but I could still make it out with Saturn in the view. I have no doubt that the brightness of Saturn will make seeing M1 impossible once it is directly over M1. Plus I'm sure for myself and many others it will be cloudy that night anyways. Perhaps a nebula filter would help. I look forward to any photos you guys with cameras might take.

Daryl Crowley
Posted 01/03/2003 03:57AM #1
Congrats Daryl,

What's the light pollution like from where you observed? I tried on 12/30/02 but no luck. My limiting mag is about 3.5 at the zenith.

Thanks,

Ed

Ed Moran
Equipment Forum Moderator - Two of Five
Posted 01/03/2003 06:33PM #2
I had no problem seeing the pair (Saturn & M1) in my 5 inch Mak at 65X to 90x, above that M1 is tough for my littl scope. I doubt I will have any clear skies this weekend and I also doubt I would be able to see M1 with Saturn on top of it. I traded off my nebula filter last year, and now is one of the rare times I may wish I still had it.

I have also seen M1 in my 15x70 binoculars. I know, hard to believe, but sure enough I could see it in the binoculars. This was of course prior to Saturn being so close.

Daryl