Image of the day

Captured by
Normand Rivard

Totality!

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

What does it take to view the Veil nebula?

Started by Inge_S, 01/10/2003 10:17AM
Posted 01/10/2003 10:17AM Opening Post
The Veil nebula complex makes a wonderful sight even in a modest 8-inch Newtonian equipped with an O-III filter and an eyepiece with a decent field of view. However, a dark, transparent sky and absence of ambient light is important to enjoy the full splendour of the nebula.

On Wednesday evening I had my scope out just to check the seeing conditions. A friend of mine dropped by, and wanted to have a look at the Veil, and I decided to make a try in spite of interfering moonlight and snow on the ground reflecting all the high-pressure sodium lamps in the vicinity. Just a hint of the nebulocity could me made out without a filter, therefore I put on the O-III. Then the nebula was pretty easy to see in spite of the conditions. Just as my friend was to take over the scope, a #£€@#@ truck came down the road pointing its headlights directly towards us. And believe it or not, it was still possible to see the Veil with the truck parked at a distance of 30 metres.

This was not a great sight, but it just illustrates the fact that the Veil nebula isn't really a difficult object in a decent modern telescope. The O-III filter certainly helps a lot, but even without a filter quite a lot can be seen with 8-inches of aperture.
Posted 01/10/2003 02:34PM #1
I've seen the entire "loop" in 15 X 80 binoculars (in a dark sky site at a star party)...

Pat
Posted 01/10/2003 05:48PM #2
Ah, yes. The Veil is always a favorite of mine.

I've seen the brighter arc in 8x32 roof-prism binoculars and the entire "loop" (with inner "patch") in both my 3-inch refractors (f/6.7 and f/6).

These views were from dark sites with limiting mags. around 6.5. I should try it from my backyard (~5.3 l.m.) and see how the MK67 does.

Thanks for sharing.
Best wishes.
-Dan