Prominence

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

August New Moon Spotting

Started by curtrenz, 08/19/2009 04:07PM
Posted 08/19/2009 04:07PM Opening Post
Who will be the first to spot the August New Moon with naked eyes after sunset? The Dark Moon will be in geocentric longitudinal conjunction with the Sun on 2009 AUG 20 at 10:02 UT (05:02 CDT).

We’re now in the half of the year centered by the autumnal equinox in which really young Moon spotting becomes difficult for northern hemisphere observers. The first realistic opportunity for those of us in the north will come during the early evening of August 22, when Mercury and Saturn will appear to the right of the Moon.

I’ve created a graphic previewing the western sky from Chicagoland 25 minutes after sunset on August 22, although it should well serve most North American observers. It can be seen by clicking: http://www.curtrenz.com/astronomical

Photos and descriptions of the August New Moon would be welcome additions to this thread. Please include the date, time, time zone and location. Good Luck!

Below is a photo I took from Arlington Heights, Illinois of the Moon aged 1.6 days on 2007 JUL 15.

For astronomical graphics, including
monthly wallpaper calendar, visit:
CurtRenz.com/astronomical

Curt Renz