Diamond Ring April 8, 2024

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Transit of Io

Started by darrencrooks, 03/19/2003 11:21PM
Posted 03/19/2003 11:21PM Opening Post
Last night at about 0400 UT (11:00 PM local) I was out with my humble 4.5" Christmas scope (Bushnell newtonian), casting about for interesting objects. I didn't hold out much hope, because of the full moon, so I aimed it at Jupiter. Suprisingly, the view was fairly crisp at 135X (using the awful 3X Barlow that came with the scope - a waste of good plastic, really). I saw three of the moons, two equatorial bands and both polar regions quite distinctly.

Then I saw a small black dot on the planet's surface between the two equatorial belts. At first, I thought I was seeing a defect in the crummy eyepeice supplied with the scope ... but after viewing for a few moments, I realized it was maintaining its position on Jupiter's surface as the planet crossed my field of view. I realized that I was viewing the shadow of one of the planet's moons as it passed in front of its parent. Sure enough, I saw the black dot move slowly to the left (the view is inverted) and evntually the satellite emerged from Jupiter's limb. I was pleasantly surprised that this scope would reveal these sorts of details given the poor quality eyepeices supplied with it.

I checked on my Starry Nights software later on and learned that the moon was Io.

So in spite of the truly miserable accessories, the optics on this scope seem to be working fine... I am anxiously awaiting delivery of the new Plossls (20mm, 10mm and 6.7mm) that I purchased here a week or so ago. That should improve viewing significantly.

Clear nights ... dark sites,
Darren
Posted 03/20/2003 05:54PM #1
Darren,

Congratulations on your sighting of your observation of the shadow of Io. Your new Plossl eyepieces will improve your views in the future significantly. We look forward to your future observations.

Carlos