The Cygnus Wall in the North American Nebula, NGC7000

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Here we go again...

Started by jameswilliamjohnson, 06/29/2012 02:12PM
Posted 06/29/2012 02:12PM Opening Post
http://news.yahoo.com/Egypt's-president-vows-win-release-world-trade-center-183711438--abc-news-topstories.html

The new Egyptian president - with his country in bad shape and promising a "civil, nationalist, constitutional state", he is going to focus on getting one of the plotters of the 1993 WTC bombing released from US prison as well as other martyrs to the "revolution". Good luck with that Mohammed bin Shithead.

The Prez has shown his true colors, indicating he approves of the revolution and it's terrorist attacks against the US and its allies. Egypt had earlier reneged on previous contracts to supply Israel with natural gas. If the military allows he will inflict Sharia and I feel sorry for the large number of Christians and moderates in Egypt. If this happens we should drop aid to Egypt.

I know I sound like one of the Islam hating Snopers wink but I don't trust them as far as I can throw a camel. Even if only a tiny percentage of them are terrorists, many, many more are sympathetic to the cause even if they say otherwise.

It will be interesting to see what the military will allow him to accomplish as they really hold the power.

Darn, where did I leave my Lithium...

Jim J

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." - Thomas Sowell
Posted 06/29/2012 03:28PM #1
Jim,

Not to be an I told you so, but here is a post I made in Feb. 2011 when Mubarak was on the verge of stepping down :

I'm starting to see a replay of the Carter-Iran situation. Not to imply that I want to be an interventionist, but we are allowing a power vacuum to be created without any real governmental solution in the wings. Islamic governments have had a long history in oscillating between anarchy and totalitarianism and at very sudden speeds. Even though the Egyptian military is pro-western leaning, no one knows how loyal and for how long the current situation will stay as it is.

Unless there is some sort of intervention by an outsider, I see the formation of an Islamic theocracy as a given. I'm afraid the Egyptian people are trading one dictator for a worse one.

Mubarak was a dictator but he did not have the worst human rights record of the Middle East. It appears from the news feeds that the underlying issue has been economic in nature. No matter who takes up the reigns, economic issues are very difficult to fix and take a significant passage of time to see any appreciable progress. This in itself creates a revolutionary environment in which citizens are requested and often willing to "make sacrifices" for the home land i.e. give up freedoms.

What I see as our real problem is that we as a culture are totally clueless about the regions worldview and how we need to interact with them. I'm afraid that this is only the beginning of what is about to unfold and it is not good.