Prominence

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Putting things in perspective! ;^)

Started by The Mad One, 12/20/2010 03:02PM
Posted 12/20/2010 03:02PM Opening Post
I debated for a short time just which discussion title to post this in as it would actually be a good fit or at least point up in the Politics, I Like To Complain About Everything, Religion, or No Holds Barred discussions. I guess it could go in a few, anyhow just thought I'd drop it in here somewhere to give folks a little nudge towards our "reality" & where things fall in a cosmic scale.

Many of you may have already seen this or one similar, but I personally thing we should all see it more than once and at least once a year. It is a reading by the late Carl Sagan from his book "Pale Blue Dot" set in a you tube video, I think one of the better ones of the hundreds posted there. Enjoy it or pick it apart, but here it is anyhow & yes the music doe get overpowering towards the end... My rant about this video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmMUuR--Qvo&feature=related

Mark Jordan

The Star Deck Observatory
Posted 12/20/2010 03:33PM #1
Sagan wrote "On the scale of worlds, humans are inconsequential: a thin film of life on an obscure and solitary lump of rock and metal." He continues with a litany of base human behavior as if there were nothing more to our existence than toil, pain, and death.

Carl Sagan possessed a gifted mind, but like many other scientists he ignores the greatest gift of all, the gift of consciousness. The mind's eye can see the whole of Creation, and it reveals a visage of truth, beauty, and by perseverance, knowledge.

Jim McSheehy
Posted 12/21/2010 12:14AM #2
It would really be nice to see that footage of the earth rising over the lunar horizon in HD. smile

Darian R.