Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Good news from the Middle East!

Started by Lee_S, 02/06/2006 04:42PM
Posted 02/06/2006 04:42PM Opening Post
For those looking for good news from the Islamic world, a poll has just come out:

http://pewglobal.org/reports/display.php?PageID=814

To summarize, support for terrorism has been declining dramatically in the Islamic world. For example, last year 70% of Jordanians supported suicide bombings against the US and its allies in Iraq. Now only 49% do. Similar declines in support for terrorism have been recorded in other Islamic countries. Support for Bin Laden has also declined. While the support for terrorism and Bin Laden is still frighteningly high by any sane measure, it does seem to be a start. wink

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 02/07/2006 06:16PM #1
Jim Babcock said:

Support for the President's bold actions in the Middle East are beginning to be understood by those most impacted in that region of the world. That is fantastic news for everyone!

It is unfortunate that "the loyal opposition" continues to be on the wrong side of this issue, just as they were against President Reagan when he ordered the Kremlin to tear down the wall. As they like to tell us, if you do not study history, you are doomed to repeat it. wink

Whoa! That is quite a leap of logic to assert that the quoted poll results mean that the president's "bold actions in the Middle East" are now being supported by middle easterners. I think it's pretty safe to assume that our Iraq policy is still deplored by most people affected. I think the pol results may reflect that the actions of the terrorists and insurgents have become so heinous, so random and unrelated to their stated policy objectives, and have adversely impacted on so many lives, that some people are finally starting to complain. To say it's in support of Bush is insane....the man doesn't even have the support of a majority of Americans, for heaven's sake, and his policies have even less support than the person.

Jim, based on your last few posts, I think your logic circuits sustained some solar flare damage.

Tim Iafolla