The Cygnus Wall in the North American Nebula, NGC7000

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Supremes Rule on Az Immigration

Started by jameswilliamjohnson, 06/25/2012 04:12PM
Posted 06/25/2012 04:12PM Opening Post
Arizona is stuck. They can't enact their own laws and the Feds are not enforcing existing federal laws. I agree with the ruling in that immigration is the domain of the federal government but I sympathize with Az in not being able to take matters in their own hands. The feds are cracking down on deporting criminals but taht is only part of the problem. They can check status during stops so I expect there will be lots of stops which might lead to more court battles over profiling and civil rights abuse.

In the meantime citizens and legals will have to compete with illegals for the coveted agricultural and domestic help jobs.

Scalia was not happy with the results.

Jim J

"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good." - Thomas Sowell
Posted 06/26/2012 06:32AM #1
[QUOTE]Jim Johnson said:

Arizona is stuck. They can't enact their own laws and the Feds are not enforcing existing federal laws. I agree with the ruling in that immigration is the domain of the federal government but I sympathize with Az in not being able to take matters in their own hands. The feds are cracking down on deporting criminals but taht is only part of the problem. They can check status during stops so I expect there will be lots of stops which might lead to more court battles over profiling and civil rights abuse.

In the meantime citizens and legals will have to compete with illegals for the coveted agricultural and domestic help jobs.

Sarcasm, well played.

One person suggested to me that we build giant processing centers at the major entry points and issue work permits to migrants passing through. We would at least have some measure of control.
Posted 06/27/2012 07:48PM #2
Asking anyone for papers or running immigration checks based on suspicion should be unconstitutional. If Arizona wants to make this legal and fair they should just run it on everyone, regardless of race, class, or suspision.