Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Random musings...

Started by mwelsh, 02/03/2003 02:43PM
Posted 02/03/2003 02:43PM Opening Post
Been away for awhile, so i haven't taken much time to thoroughly read everything, so if i repeat tired ideas or misconstrue anyone's writings, i apologise beforehand...

Immaculate conception/original sin/virginity of Mary...

All this implies that human reproduction, ie:sexual intercourse, is inherently sinful. Why is this? Granted the tendency towards wantoness and such, BUT, the reproductive method was purportedly devised by the Creator and therefore inherently good. Do you see the the cognitive disonance here?
We were charged by god to "be fruitful and multiply." How else did anyone get here?
It isn't important, really, that Miriam was virgin, whether Joshua bar Miriam was conceived in the usual way, or if he had brothers and sisters (i believe he did- something churches today say little about- especially the Church of Rome,) it doesn't matter is she ever or never had sexual intercourse- that's all a sideshow.

The Virginity of Mary (and, BTW, Papal Infallibility,) were codified (and ossified IMHO) by a very reactionary Pope Pius IX in the later 1800's, and really has no bearing on salvation.

So why the issue? (cont.)

-mw.

QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?
-Juvenal.

QUID RIDES? MUTATO NOMINE DE TE FABULA NARRATUR.
-Horace.
Posted 02/03/2003 02:58PM #1
It is a convenient thing, when one is trying to Deify an heroic person, to invent Miracle Stories surrounding that person's birth (Gautama & Jesus being prime examples.)

Not to gore anyone's ox too badly re: the BVM or the Evangelists, but there is a reason to, let's say, "exaggerate" the stories to pique the interest of the punters.

Look also to the gnostic texts (e.g.:Thomas) for even more stories about the Miracle Baby Jesus.

Consider also Marian Devotion- something near and dear to the current Bishop of Rome - and how it came into particular prominence among populations predisposed to worship Mother Goddesses (e.g.: Mithra, Isis, etc.) Now one can begin to see how it becomes important to have a Miracle Mother, with a Miracle Conception.

Oh, and while i'm here, Kudos to scripural scholarship i'm seeing here, and to Paul Titus for his generally uncritical entries presenting the various religious world views.

-mw.

QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?
-Juvenal.

QUID RIDES? MUTATO NOMINE DE TE FABULA NARRATUR.
-Horace.