Globular Clusters in M110

Started by reconair, 04/16/2019 01:27AM
Posted 04/16/2019 01:27AM Opening Post
An astronomy associate of mine got me thinking about actually identifying the known globular clusters in M110 (NGC205, PCC2429) from an image of same I took recently. Fortunately, there was enough references and tools available on the Internet that allowed me to do some research to identify them. I believe I’ve successfully identified 10 of the known globular clusters in M110. G73 (M=15) would have been visible, but is out of the frame towards the east (top left corner). Amazingly, magnitudes for the GCs range from M=16.6 (G63) to M=18.5 (G54). I would have never believed I could achieve this level of resolution. The Takahashi FRC300 is an amazing scope. Couple it with a very capable camera like the ZWO ASI1600MM-C and who knows what one could achieve from a backyard observatory. The BOL and GC objects are globulars identified in the SIMBAD database. I compared them visually with the location of objects in my M110 image. There are other possible globulars in the image, but they were either not visible or I could not make a positive id. There are also dim galaxies in the image, but I did not attempt to identify them.  Image details: Tak FRC300 at f15.6, 40x60s frames stacked in DeepSkyStacker and finished in PSCS6 for Mac. 

Attached Image:

reconair's attachment for post 162429

Scott Busby
A.K.A. Reconair

Carpe Noctum

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.
- Ptolemy,c.150 AD
Posted 04/17/2019 12:22PM #1
Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.