Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Mars Opposition 2005

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

If you have any questions or experiencing an issue please report to support@astromart.com

Globular Clusters in M110

Started by reconair, 04/15/2019 06:27PM
Posted 04/15/2019 06:27PM Opening Post
An astronomy associate of mine got me thinking about actually identifying the known globular clusters in M110 (NGC205, PCC2429) from an image of same I took recently. Fortunately, there was enough references and tools available on the Internet that allowed me to do some research to identify them. I believe I’ve successfully identified 10 of the known globular clusters in M110. G73 (M=15) would have been visible, but is out of the frame towards the east (top left corner). Amazingly, magnitudes for the GCs range from M=16.6 (G63) to M=18.5 (G54). I would have never believed I could achieve this level of resolution. The Takahashi FRC300 is an amazing scope. Couple it with a very capable camera like the ZWO ASI1600MM-C and who knows what one could achieve from a backyard observatory. The BOL and GC objects are globulars identified in the SIMBAD database. I compared them visually with the location of objects in my M110 image. There are other possible globulars in the image, but they were either not visible or I could not make a positive id. There are also dim galaxies in the image, but I did not attempt to identify them.  Image details: Tak FRC300 at f15.6, 40x60s frames stacked in DeepSkyStacker and finished in PSCS6 for Mac. 

Attached Image:

reconair's attachment for post 162429

Scott Busby
A.K.A. Reconair

Carpe Noctum

Mortal as I am, I know that I am born for a day. But when I follow at my pleasure the serried multitude of the stars in their circular course, my feet no longer touch the earth.
- Ptolemy,c.150 AD
Posted 04/17/2019 05:22AM #1
Pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.