Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

How to post pics?

Started by Ron Oehlert, 07/01/2015 02:40AM
Posted 07/01/2015 02:40AM | Edited 07/01/2015 02:46AM Opening Post
A couple evenings ago I tried taking some Moon & Saturn photos with my iPhone6+. They came out pretty good for a hand-held camera in front of the eyepiece at 200X visual from a Cave 8" f/7. So now I'm going to make a wood and bungee cord stand to attach the iPhone direct to the scope. However, I do not know how to share such photos here beyond sending them to an email address. Any advice appreciated. And would a video stream be of help in stacking/processing for deep sky? My astrophoto experience is from the days of Film, but I did take photos of deep sky and solar system back then including some nice Halley's Comet pics. Thanks.
Posted 07/01/2015 03:24AM #1
Hi Ron! If you have a video you can feed it into a program like Autostakkert!2 and/or Registax (both free programs) to sift out the best frames from the video and combine them into a corrected and sharpened image. I use a program called PIPP to shrink the video down to size for input into the two programs just mentioned.

To post a pic you just have to reduce it to less than 500KB for Astromart and click the "Choose File" button when you post a thread. Or use the customer gallery feature top left of the forums (ATWB Customer Gallery).

It's hard to stack deep sky from video but you might have some success at f/7 with an 8" mirror on bright objects. I'm fairly new to this and never got into film. My sense is that digital can be very forgiving but you can't blow up an image to the size you might with film without creating a mosaic.

I could be all wrong... see what others say ;-)

~ Charlie Stevenson

8" f/5.7 String Telescope - 1st Scope Build; 2nd Place Stellafane 2016 Optical Award for Newtonians 12.5" and Smaller
10" f/4.5 Newtonian (June 2015) mirror refigured by Optic Wave Labs P-V WaveFront 1/14.24, Strehl Ratio 0.993 (Aug '15)
Criterion RV-6 seems to be circa 1973 (June 2015) [For Sale]
Celestron C8-A XLT (January 2015) [For Sale]
Celestron PowerSeeker 70AZ (Christmas 2014)
Aldrich Astronomical Society member since 2015
http://astro.charleskelleystevenson.com/