Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

To buy or not to buy.

Started by brian11333, 03/08/2003 03:32PM
Posted 03/08/2003 03:32PM Opening Post
OK, I'm going crazy trying to get some decent images from my current equipment. I'm having trouble night after night trying to get images with my itty-bitty ST5C. But there are other problems that I'm having that are not related to the CCD camera. My location is not suited for imaging. Light polution and just plain terrible seeing every night. Packing everything up for an hour drive to the sticks with long setup times just for a few hours of imaging doesnt appeal to me either. But one thing I do love is astronomy and it drives me to keep trying. So I need some advice. The fancy, large pixel array, self-guiding and high dollar CCD cameras from SBIG seem so attractive but I'm worried about spending four to seven thousand dollars on a camera and finding out that my location just isnt going to allow me to image. Do these cameras handle light polution any better than the almost microscopic ST5? And what about this adaptive optics thing. Does It really work or is it just ANOTHER money trap? I'll spend the money if it is worth it. If not, I'll sell it all and get a Harley. I need some facts. Thankyou come again.
Posted 03/08/2003 08:06PM #1
hi,

Light pollution filters can be used with monochrome ccd imaging. Adorindack Vidio Astronomy sells a light pollution filter ( the Astronomik city light pollution filter) that can be used for ccd or film imaging.

Also narrow band filters ( H alpha and OIII ) give spectaular results with in light polluted areas and can even be used when the full moon is out

Give then a call.

Link to their site: http://www.astrovid.com/

clear skies,

Larry Citro