Films???

Started by ecdon, 06/17/2002 03:50PM
Posted 06/17/2002 03:50PM Opening Post
YEsterday, my wonderful children bought me a canon scanner with 35mm negative film capabilities. So, I scanned in some negatives last night, all of which were shot on Fuji Press 800asa. what a big difference between scanning a negative and scanning a print. I finally see how much over processing my developer was doing. I also found out why! My 2 45 minute shots from my dark sky site had sky fog in them.
The fuji PRess 800asa film really impressed me. Definetly much more color than the Superia 800.
Now to my ? Which film do you all think is best for scanning negatives?
Don

Don Spencer
http://members.cox.net/ecdon/astrophotography.html
Posted 06/17/2002 09:19PM #1
Hi Don,

I think you should rephrase your question to: What film is best for astro-photography? No one film will have any advantage over the next as far as the scanner is concerned, it just scans whatever you put in it. Your results will depend on how well the film captured the object of your desire.

That being said, I've heard nothing but good praise about the Kodak E200 slide film. I think the proceedure is the same for scanning slides but I'm not 100% on that. Hypered Kodak RG200 is being used by some. If you can still find some, then Kodak PJ400 is good (but dis-continued). I and a few others have been using Fugi's NPH400 and think it does well. I think Fugi HQ or HG 400 (I'm not sure which) is doing well also. There are others but I can't think of them now.

Have fun with your new toy.

Robert.

There's no substitute for fine glass!