Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

It's Electric...

Started by Wolfstar, 10/15/2018 07:03AM
Posted 10/15/2018 07:03AM | Edited 10/15/2018 07:06AM Opening Post
After putting close to 200,000 trouble free miles on my Prius, I decided to get a new daily driver. Kept the Prius for long distances trips, of course. It still runs perfect, but I figured It would be nice to work towards a zero carbon footprint. Next step is installing solar to charge my Leaf. For now I am happy getting 5.1 miles/kwh. Nearly 200mpg in monetary terms, lol...

Attached Image:

Wolfstar's attachment for post 159436

It is what it is...
Posted 03/04/2019 08:48AM | Edited 03/04/2019 08:49AM #1
Originally Posted by Richard Davis

Facts sure are a funny thing.  In fact I rented a Prius for 2 weeks in 2015 when I was in Florida.  I calculated the gas mileage to be between 60-65 MPG, very impressive, but nowhere near the 200 MPG you are claiming.

The problem with the Prius and other electric cars is for 1, the battery consumption.  Replace those batteries and see how cost effective it is.  Those batteries have a life, which maybe you haven't considered, and if it costs $5,000 to replace the batteries after a certain number of years, that needs to be factored into the cost savings, or cost drain, however one looks at it.

Also, the cost to build that Prius is MUCH higher than almost if not all other ICE vehicles. 

Here's a report on it from WIRED mag:

https://www.wired.com/2008/05/ff-heresies-09usedcars/ 

Here is more:

https://axleaddict.com/cars/Prius

Here is another report that shoots down your claim of 200MPG.  And I'm sure you'll want to say it is full of crap, however it comes from the Liberal Environmental Protection Agency:

http://kscequinox.com/2014/11/toyota-prius-not-as-eco-friendly-as-some-think/

From that article above:

Although the cost of the car was and still is inexpensive, the other two claims, fuel efficiency and eco-friendliness, can’t quite stand up to scrutiny. Let’s start with fuel economy. According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the Prius achieves a combined efficiency of 46 miles to the gallon, averaging 48 in the city and 45 on the highway.

Hmm.. so much for 200MPG eh?  

And one other thing to consider, in electric mode it achieves a whopping 80 HP.  

When combined with the ICE, the HP jumps to 137.  

The article points that out, and once you start laboring that engine, putting a load on it, you can't survive on Electric Power alone.  

That was my experience when I drove it for the 2 weeks back in 2015.  

I thought it was a neat car, but it certainly isn't the Panacea for all the concerns about the HORRIBLE Carbon Footprint, which really isn't horrible at all.  wink

P.S.   More from the equinox article:

The issue is, a car weighing that much ends up using more fuel to stay at highway speeds because of its lack of power. The problem increases when you drive even more quickly. The British television show, Top Gear, conducted an experiment involving a Toyota Prius and a 414 horsepower BMW M3. The Toyota was tasked with driving as quickly as possible around a race track for ten laps, while all the BMW had to do was keep up.

When the ten laps were up, the Prius managed 17.2 mpg while the BMW averaged 19.4 mpg. It’s odd then for any car sold based on efficiency, when that efficiency depends on the driver. To quote Top Gear further, “It’s not what you drive that matters, it’s how you drive it.” The second assumption made about the Prius is that, because it’s a hybrid, it will be environmentally friendly. This simply is not the case. The manufacturing process for the Prius (and all other hybrids) is extensive and complicated...
Oh my are you silly. That is my Leaf in the picture, which is fully electric and can get 200mpge. I typically get 48 mpg in my Prius, but it has a couple mods that reduced it's efficiency slightly. 1500 watt stereo, high performance tires, sway bar in the rear and a thicker one in the front, strut tower brace, mid chassis brace...  List goes on,  but it's basically a Japan spec roadcourse build. 

But the Tesla, lol. It makes your eyes hurt with acceleration, lol.

It is what it is...
Posted 04/23/2019 01:33AM #2
Uhhh ohhh....

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-04-21/new-study-shocks-electric-cars-considerably-worse-climate-diesel-cars?fbclid=IwAR0DZ6ErEfGOlZRA9G_IkaAIM38xnE7ceTvpHsDrt-3ythrFII7zP77Ov6Q

20" MidnighTelescopes f/5
8" f/16 Muffoletto Achro
Meade 6" AR6 f/8.0 Achro
Celestron C11
Parallax PI250 10" F/5 Newt
Vixen FL102S,NA140SS,R200SS
80mm Stellarvue Nighthawk with WO APOupgrade lens, 90mm f/16.67 Parallax Achro
LXD75/LX200, Mini-tower, GP-DX, CG5 ASGT, LXD650, GM-8, G11, GM-100, GM-150EX, GM-200 and a Gemini G40
4" portable AP convertable 44" or 70" pier
Stellarvue M7 Alt-Az, TSL7 Pier/Tripod
12.5" f/5 MidnighTelescopes DOB Swayze optics
Monroe GA