My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

IMR Trail Boss

Started by mrvolvo, 04/15/2009 10:10PM
Posted 04/15/2009 10:10PM Opening Post
[COLOR="Red"]This post is for you handloaders out there.[/COLOR]

With the price of ammo skyrocketing over the past few months, I recently got back into handloading, primarily for .45 Colt. When I bought my supplies, I went back to the same powder I'd used years ago; "Unique" (Alliant Powders) for moderate target loads in several pistol cartridges. It didn't take me long to realize that it was the same dirty burning powder it was 25 years ago. Since it's a relatively low-volume-per-grain powder, I also had to be careful not to accidentally double charge the big .45 Colt cases. It doesn't even begin to fill the case, causing inconsistent ignition and velocities.

On a recent visit to my local indoor range, a friend recommended I try a relatively new powder call "Trail Boss" (imported from Australia by IMR), which is designed for Cowboy Action Shooting but also works well for many revolver target loads. Its main claim to fame is that it, for lack of a better word, is "fluffy", taking up a lot of space in large revolver cases. In fact, a standard 1 lb. size can of this powder will only hold 9 oz. This has several advantages:

1. It's virtually impossible to double charge a case without noticing the powder overflowing.

2. Its volume keeps powder close to the primer flash hole for consistent ignition and velocities.

3. It's fast burning like "Bullseye", requiring similar charges (by weight) and therefore fairly economical.

4. It's very clean burning with no trace of unburned powder.

5. It produces almost no muzzle flash.

6. It doesn't stink like some other powders.

7. Its silver colored round flat flakes with holes in the middle cannot be mistaken for any other powder.

After testing my .45 Colt handloads with 250 gr. cast bullets and stepped powder charges, I think I've found just the right combination for my revolvers. IMR Trail Boss has lived up to its claims. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.
Posted 04/19/2009 04:33AM #1
Thanks for the good info, Thomas

Had occasionally wondered about all that empty space in the cartridges. My light target loads for .357 and 9mm seemingly just have barely a dash of powder rattling around in there.

Had wondered if it matters to accuracy where that tiny pile of powder might happen to be when the primer goes off. Even with a practically-empty cartridge, the handloads seem more accurate than factory ammo. Can't be credited to skill. Am not gifted with skill.

Sounds like an interesting powder.

Thomas Holst said:

[COLOR="Red"]This post is for you handloaders out there.[/COLOR]

With the price of ammo skyrocketing over the past few months, I recently got back into handloading, primarily for .45 Colt. When I bought my supplies, I went back to the same powder I'd used years ago; "Unique" (Alliant Powders) for moderate target loads in several pistol cartridges. It didn't take me long to realize that it was the same dirty burning powder it was 25 years ago. Since it's a relatively low-volume-per-grain powder, I also had to be careful not to accidentally double charge the big .45 Colt cases. It doesn't even begin to fill the case, causing inconsistent ignition and velocities.

On a recent visit to my local indoor range, a friend recommended I try a relatively new powder call "Trail Boss" (imported from Australia by IMR), which is designed for Cowboy Action Shooting but also works well for many revolver target loads. Its main claim to fame is that it, for lack of a better word, is "fluffy", taking up a lot of space in large revolver cases. In fact, a standard 1 lb. size can of this powder will only hold 9 oz. This has several advantages:

1. It's virtually impossible to double charge a case without noticing the powder overflowing.

2. Its volume keeps powder close to the primer flash hole for consistent ignition and velocities.

3. It's fast burning like "Bullseye", requiring similar charges (by weight) and therefore fairly economical.

4. It's very clean burning with no trace of unburned powder.

5. It produces almost no muzzle flash.

6. It doesn't stink like some other powders.

7. Its silver colored round flat flakes with holes in the middle cannot be mistaken for any other powder.

After testing my .45 Colt handloads with 250 gr. cast bullets and stepped powder charges, I think I've found just the right combination for my revolvers. IMR Trail Boss has lived up to its claims. If you haven't tried it, I highly recommend it.