Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Running Man - NGC1977

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

If you have any questions or experiencing an issue please report to support@astromart.com

anybody got extra #80 grit for some rough grinding

Started by BABOafrica, 05/20/2012 10:56PM
Posted 05/20/2012 10:56PM Opening Post
One of the Astromart members sent me a DIY "CARE package" to grind a 12 blank. It included everything, as far as I can tell, except #80 grit for the rough grinding. (Not that I have any experience grinding... but I am about to get some.)

Before buying some grit new from some dealer, I was wondering if any of you folk might have a bag of the stuff just lying around, which you're never gonna use anyway.

Clears,
Joe

PS As you can see from my profile, I'm a chaplain in a boys school. I've introduced lots of the boys to stargazing.

In lumine tuo videbimus lumen.

8O Home-made 10” Dob / Home-made 4” refractor

EPs: Konig 32mm (1.25") / Zhumell WF 30mm (2") / Nagler 13mm T1 / Orion Sirius Plossls 25 & 10mm / Zhumell Plossl 9 mm / Meade MA 9mm
Posted 05/21/2012 08:29AM #1
BTW, I wanted to ask:

I know that the typical grit is made out of silicon carbide. What would happen if I tried using silicon based sand or calcium carbonate sand? Would it grind?

Clears,
Joe

In lumine tuo videbimus lumen.

8O Home-made 10” Dob / Home-made 4” refractor

EPs: Konig 32mm (1.25") / Zhumell WF 30mm (2") / Nagler 13mm T1 / Orion Sirius Plossls 25 & 10mm / Zhumell Plossl 9 mm / Meade MA 9mm