Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

IC1396

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

If you have any questions or experiencing an issue please report to support@astromart.com

anybody got extra #80 grit for some rough grinding

Started by BABOafrica, 05/20/2012 10:56PM
Posted 05/20/2012 10:56PM Opening Post
One of the Astromart members sent me a DIY "CARE package" to grind a 12 blank. It included everything, as far as I can tell, except #80 grit for the rough grinding. (Not that I have any experience grinding... but I am about to get some.)

Before buying some grit new from some dealer, I was wondering if any of you folk might have a bag of the stuff just lying around, which you're never gonna use anyway.

Clears,
Joe

PS As you can see from my profile, I'm a chaplain in a boys school. I've introduced lots of the boys to stargazing.

In lumine tuo videbimus lumen.

8O Home-made 10” Dob / Home-made 4” refractor

EPs: Konig 32mm (1.25") / Zhumell WF 30mm (2") / Nagler 13mm T1 / Orion Sirius Plossls 25 & 10mm / Zhumell Plossl 9 mm / Meade MA 9mm
Posted 05/21/2012 08:29AM #1
BTW, I wanted to ask:

I know that the typical grit is made out of silicon carbide. What would happen if I tried using silicon based sand or calcium carbonate sand? Would it grind?

Clears,
Joe

In lumine tuo videbimus lumen.

8O Home-made 10” Dob / Home-made 4” refractor

EPs: Konig 32mm (1.25") / Zhumell WF 30mm (2") / Nagler 13mm T1 / Orion Sirius Plossls 25 & 10mm / Zhumell Plossl 9 mm / Meade MA 9mm