New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Michael Bonnette

August 2, 2002 03:46 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

August 15, 2002 07:20 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

8" LXD-55 with UHTC vs LXD-55 AR6

Posted By Michael Bonnette

I'm looking to purchase a telescope and with the Meade eyepiece offer these are my two choices. The cost of each is about the same $940 vs $895, does anyone have any information about the optical performance of either scope.

Michael B.

August 19, 2002 12:01 PM Forum: Meade

8" LXD-55 with UHTC vs LXD-55 AR6

I'm looking to purchase a telescope and with the Meade eyepiece offer these are my two choices. The cost of each is about the same $940 vs $895, does anyone have any information about the optical performance of either scope.

Michael B.

December 2, 2002 12:35 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Which Scope

I'm re-entering the hobby and had decided to get one of the new Meade LXD55 Ar5. I used to have a Celestron C8 (orange tube) and I have found several 8" SCT's on various web sites, so which scope "in anyone's opinion" would be the better re-entry scope.

thanks in advance for sticking your neck out,
Michael Bonnette

December 12, 2002 05:59 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

LXD mount

I notice serveal ad in Astro Mart selling the OTA (reflector or refractor) from the Meade LXD55 series. Seller usually buys the system just for thel mount. Just this morning I noticed one seller with all three item from the LXD55 system (OTA, Mount, eyepiece special) for sale. Looks like the start of a new cottage industry. I just thought it was odd.

June 6, 2003 06:05 PM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Burgess Optical 6"F/8 Achro

The price on the 1538 is $ 598.00 this will include OTA, rings, finder (50 mm) ,diagonal, two Plossls and case. Construction will be exactly the same as the 1026 and 1278.

Found this on the yahoo group site. Just passing along information.

Mike B.

July 19, 2002 06:52 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Might want to build a Dob.

Matthew, you might look into getting the following book:

THE DOBSONIAN TELESCOPE:
A Practical Manual for Building Large Aperture Telescopes
by Dave Kriege and Richard Berry

Check the local book store or library or it can be ordered for the Obsession Telescope web site.

http://www.globaldialog.com/~obsessiontscp/OBHP.html

I read it and got some very good information.

Michael B.

September 30, 2002 04:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Solar Filter Safety

Many years ago at a far off place call college, I had a 6" relector which came with an eyepiece solar filter. The first time I used this filer I exercised caution and did not look through the eyepiece directly, about 10-20sec after getting sun light through the scope the glass filter cracked in half. I experienced no injury, just the sinking feeling that save for my cautious nature I could by one eye short.

Mike B.

November 26, 2002 01:08 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

LXD55 AR5 and 6 questions

Paul, I too am vacillating between these two scopes. My final decision will be based on which one is easier to transport. The best scope is the one that is used, so ease of use and portability are crucial. If the scope is not convienent to use it will just gather dust. I have not found reliable information on the weight of these scopes. Does any one out there know the weight of the LXD55 mount/tripod and each OTA. One web site listed the net weight of the AR5 at 49# and the AR6 at 73#, but I would like to know the weight of each part. Any dealers out there wish to provide info??

Mike B.

January 2, 2003 05:11 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

Girls just wanna have fun

Lynn, I am thinking about the LXD55/AR5 for my re-entry into the Astronomy hobby. Could you give a review of your feelings for this scope. You could post on Meade forum or Email me directly [email protected]

thanks,
Mike B.