My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Martin Willes

January 26, 2011 02:46 PM Forum: Refractors

1815 brass refractor 80mm

Posted By Martin Willes

Do you have a picture of the telescope? It may be a reproduction as the Crayford style focuser was invented in 1971. Martin

February 2, 2011 12:20 AM Forum: Refractors

Eon 120 to replace NP101?

Posted By Martin Willes

Don't do it! The optics on the NP-101 are well corrected. A doublet of Chinese origin is going to result in a very soft image due to achromatism. Your final image with the NP-101 will be much better and that scope can handle the magnification if you want to use a shorter focal length eyepiece. A 4" refractor can yield excellent planetary detail for the experienced observer. Give that baby some power, it can handle it. Martin

February 3, 2011 02:03 PM Forum: Refractors

15" Obsession VS 5" ED Refractor

Posted By Martin Willes

The 15" Obsession should work great on the planets and provide access to thousands of deep space objects. My AP 130 f/8 wouldn't come close to your views. I'd be more concerned that chair is going to fold up underneath you and your going to fall :-) Martin

February 21, 2011 09:58 PM Forum: Pictures of Me and My Telescope and........

A New Grab and Go Scope

Posted By Martin Willes

Is that the 25" f/5 Obsession?

March 18, 2011 02:49 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Help Observing Solar Prominences

Posted By Martin Willes

Paul,

You will be able to see the suns photosphere with your white light filter. There is much to see and learn when observing the photosphere. If you wish to see the chromosphere where the hydrogen gas is you will need a narrowband filter like a Lunt H-alpha filter or better yet a Daystar. I suggest before you dive into solar observing you read up on the internet and find out what your options are and what you can expect to see with your telescope both day and night. Often newcomers become discouraged because they have very high expectations about what they can see and I blame the glossy ads in S&T and Astronomy. Once you have the knowledge you will be able to enjoy solar observing in a safe manner. Best of luck and enjoy.

Martin

June 18, 2011 01:58 AM Forum: My Favorite WIMP.COM or YOUTUBE.COM

The Pursuit of Hap-Penis

Posted By Martin Willes

Now that made me hap pee.

July 8, 2011 07:57 PM Forum: My Favorite WIMP.COM or YOUTUBE.COM

Dangers of Wind Power

Posted By Martin Willes

Yup, lots of hot air in this video.

July 16, 2011 12:05 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

SBIG STi

Posted By Martin Willes

Does anyone even have one? I thought they were due out by months end. If so please post pics :-) Martin

July 30, 2011 11:14 PM Forum: Binoviewers

February 28, 2012 01:45 AM Forum: Star Parties

Questions about star party etiquette

Posted By Martin Willes

I stopped going to public star parties because as soon as the sun went down a line started forming around my 25" Obsession. I've been to NSP twice and for the most part people drive hundreds of miles to a dark sky to enjoy themselves and their own observing list. This is a star party for serious observers and is often a vacation too. I know I didn't drive hundreds of miles to hear some fool request M13 at midnight while I'm in the middle of enjoying myself. Check your local astronomy clubs for public nights if you want to look through someone else's scope. NSP may also have vendors set up at night. I never turned a request away from a stranger at a star party but sometimes these people become a real pain in the rear. My advice bring your own scope and enjoy yourself. P.S. Bring gallons of bug spray to NSP! Martin