New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Sol Robbins

January 28, 2003 07:27 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter 1/27-28/03

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

This session marked the coldest night ever! 2F before wind chill. Still the seeing was pretty steady.

The SEB continues to show choppy rift features following the GRS. The GRS seems larger, more elongated and getting darker. The NTEB is gone. The NNTEB has darkened.

Saw 2 ovals between the STEB and SSTEB. I believe their articulation is close to accurate in the drawing.

Thanks, Sol Robbins

February 6, 2003 08:01 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Saturn 2.05.03

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Had good seeing conditions. Tonight's Saturn observation revealed some blotches on both sides of the B ring. This is the first time I've seen these. Additionally, Saturn's cast shadow has returned.

The moons Dione, Tethys, Enceladus and Rhea also stood out pretty well

Thanks, Sol Robbins

February 6, 2003 08:07 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

2.05.03 Jupiter

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Jupiter was fantastic. A lot of festoon features as well as a marbled NEB. The NEBs presented 5 dark spots. The NPR appeared darker than it was my last couple of times out. A white oval also was seen between the STEB & SSTEB. The equator had very pronounced streaking.

Thanks, Sol Robbins

February 21, 2003 06:00 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter 2.20.03

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Good seeing conditions finally arrived after the blizzard.

Watched double shadow transit. The sketch captures Ganymede and its shadow at 10:07 p.m. EST. I saw 3 white ovals in the STZ. A lot of choppy "strings" in the EZ. A bit more of NPR darkening and SPR banding.

Sol Robbins

March 4, 2003 04:59 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter March 3.2003

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I was blessed very stable seeing conditions which aided high magnification viewing of Jupiter at 292x.

Most folks would consider this the boring side of Jupiter, but there were many interesting features presented tonight. I am not very good at calculating S1 and S2 timings, but I believe S1-94* and S2-237*

The StB was sloped. I noticed an oval on its southern edge. Additionally, there were light areas in some southern zones though I can't say for sure that these were ovals.

The SEB showed a southward pointing festoon-like feature just preceding the CM.

The NEB showed a festoon with a ribbon-like loop near the preceding limb. The most interesting feature is the bay on the northern edge of the NEB near the following limb. It was noticeably brighter than the ligh zone that lies between the NEB and what's left of the NtB

Sol Robbins

March 5, 2003 01:00 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Re: Jupiter March 3, 2003

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi Daniel and thanks, Sol Robbins

March 11, 2003 07:01 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter March 10, 2003

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Had OK conditions for Jupiter observing. Filters for this were a PC Beta filter screwed into the e.p. barrel and a blue filter placed on top of the eye lens simultaneously. The PC Beta filter gives a neutral rendition by balancing 3 transmission peaks, (RGB). It is the only filter I know of that can be used with another filter without the image mushing out.

Sol Robbins

March 16, 2003 06:29 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter 03.15.2003

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I had really excellent for Saturn, the Moon & Jupiter. The pity was that seeing started to deteriorate a bit in the middle of this sketch.

It was really nice that when I just finished it, 2 of Jupiter's Moons were almost sitting on top of each other.

This sketch once again shows a huge bay on the north side of the NEB. I would guess that its 2/3-3/4 the size of the GRS. Additionally, its much brighter than the surrounding zone area.

Sol Robbins

March 25, 2003 06:09 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Mar.24/2003

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Well its nice to be out without hat, gloves, arctic approved parka and such.

This drawing shows the GRS.

April 20, 2003 05:00 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

04/19/03 Jupiter

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I finally had some decent conditions for observing Jupiter.

I settled down to making this sketch after observing the Io transit. A lot of activity in the NEB and SEB. The EZ seemed a little calmer with less festoon activity.

When bumping up my magnification to 311x without filters, Jupiter's natural colors really showed well.

Sol Robbins