New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Sol Robbins

December 8, 2003 11:39 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter 12.08.03

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Finally the weather around here calmed down for some Jupiter observing.

Some of the noteable features are 2 dark condensations in the STB. A little bit of darkening in the NNTB. I still found the EZn to be slightly darker than the EZs. The bands in the southern regions are still nicely defined. Still no NTB at all, not even in segmented form.

Sol Robbins

December 13, 2003 10:44 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Sketch 12.13.03

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Finally finally sky conditions co-operated for some decent Saturn and Jupiter observing/sketching.

Jupiter was pretty good through my 244 mm Newtonian. I have to admit that the pretested mirror that Sky Instruments picked out for me is very good.

Attatched is my first attempt in trying to sketch Jupiter with my hand tracked Dob. Seemed as if the 17 minutes actual drawing time felt like it took a lot longer.

Of note is the festoon on the preceeding, left, side of the NEBs. Very large and could be mistaken as an overgrown GRS. The attachment points of the festoons along the NEBs were very dark and at times appeared like soft edged-elongated rectangles. Quite a few barges along the the NEBn with a the most prominent bay following, right, the CM. Another bay was right at the CM.

There were 2 light condensations south of the STB that seemed to disrupt the STB.

Anyway, there were a lot of other little details that I tried to render in my little sketch as well.

Sol Robbins

December 21, 2003 01:32 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

12.21.03 Jupiter

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I had relatively good sky conditions for observing Jupiter. Finally got a peek at the GRS. Its very dark and elongated as compared to the last opposition.

A happy and peaceful holiday to everybody, Sol Robbins

December 21, 2003 01:37 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

12.21.03 Saturn

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I also managed to get a Saturn sketch as well. Saturn's image was very clean during this observation. Most of the features shown here are the predictable ones. The SPR appeared a little darker than I remember earlier in this year's opposition. It somewhat greenish as well.

Sol Robbins

December 28, 2003 06:28 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

12.28.03 Jupiter Sketch--

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I had good sky conditions for observing and sketching Jupiter this morning.

Noteable activity was apparent breakup of bands in the southern temperate region.

Sol Robbins

January 8, 2004 11:11 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Sketch Jan. 8, 2004

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I had excellent seeing conditions for Jupiter. The sketch is a little heavy handed since it was bitterly cold this morning. This is only my 3rd observation of the GRS.

Of note is disruption of the STB. Additionally, the GRS is certainly darker/pinker. There appears to be some kind of dark condensation following and just south of the GRS. The rift in the SEB showed as a sweeping arc with just a few small breaks. I believe the SEB is getting thicker.

The festoon activity appeared somewhat gentle with the EZn being noticeably darker than the EZs. Segmented rifts within the NEB were quite apparent.

What made this morning's observation a little different was the high magnification I used which showed no breakdown. Unfiltered views showed delicate pastel colorations quite clearly.

Thanks, Sol Robbins

January 13, 2004 12:37 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter 01.11.04

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

This observation is from yesterday morning, and it showed a calmer side of Jupiter.

The SEB appeared divided only by a gentle dark rift. Straddling the CM on the SEBs and SEBn, I noticed some notching.

The NEB also had a subtle dark rift that slope downward from the preceding southward side to the following northward side.

Disruption of the STB seems somewhat commonplace during this apparition, but this time out, the SsTB also showed some irregular bending.

The festoons were somewhat harder than usual to pick out visually, but at moments of better seeing I believe I got a good read especially for the 2 elongated loop festoons.

The barges on the NEBn showed well, especially the one on the preceding side.

Thanks, Sol Robbins

February 1, 2004 08:34 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Sketch 02.01.04

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Finally had some reasonable conditions for using the 9.6" Newtonian.

The GRS is as pink as the last time I saw it, (January 11, 2004), and showed shading within the GRS Hollow. This year's apparition new and prominent dark spot was detected and is rendered in this sketch a little darker than it actually appears. It showed itself on the southern edge of the GRS and a little left of center in this rendering.

Of note were the festoons in the NEBs, with the one at the CM being darkest. The STb faded gradually as it approached the preceding limb. The SSTb appeared thinner with the same gradual fading towards the preceding limb. Other belts south of the SSTb that were seen a couple of weeks ago appear faded now with their adjacent zones appearing darker.

Thanks, Sol Robbins

February 5, 2004 09:06 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Saturn Sketch 02.04.04

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

Had good seeing conditions. Additionally, the near 0 degree temperatures have given way to what is now a seemingly balmy 26 degrees.

Anyway, Saturn held sharp at 400x. Of note was a somewhat brighter edge on the inside of the A ring on the preceding, right side.

Thanks, Sol Robbins

February 5, 2004 09:15 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Jupiter Sketch 02.05.04

Posted By Sol Robbins

Hi,

I also made a sketch of Jupiter as well.

Other than the obvious festoons, and various dark spots in the NEB, the STb and SSTb showed interesting disruptions. It seemed like the STb sloped southward. I am sure that there was a break in the STb and an isolated segment that appears on the preceding side. These disruptions near the preceding side were a bit difficult for me to interpret, so I did the best I could.

Thanks, Sol Robbins