Posts Made By: Bernard Kean

December 14, 2004 12:15 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Scope deal is a done deal!

Posted By Bernard Kean

Congratulations Floyd!
You're gonna love it! I bought a SM11" f/5.4 and it is my first premium dob and I couldn't be happier.
I agree with you about Astromart. Not all but a majority of my equipment has come from the Astromart commumity.
Good luck with the new scope
Buck

December 16, 2004 04:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Stable Mount for TV 76

Posted By Bernard Kean

Hi Chuck
Exactly what do you mean by "jitters at high power"? Almost all Alt/Az mounts like the Panoramic and Gibraltar will show some movement while focusing, however it should dampen out within 1 or 2 seconds. I have a TV101 on a Gibraltar that shows movement but will dampen out the instant I let go of the focus knobs or let go of the scope. If you are saying that it jitters with hands off then I would tighten every screw and connection and shorten the legs to see if this helps, also heavy wind could be an issue. The Panoramic should be more than enough to handle the TV76, however the Gibraltar should solve the problem and allow for heavier scopes in the future.
Hope this helps
Buck

January 2, 2005 01:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Televue 16mm T5 question

Posted By Bernard Kean

Hello Ivan
While the 17mm that the others suggest may be the way to go, I want to point something out. Depending on how bad and location of your astigmatism in your eye you may not need to wear glasses if the exit pupil gets small enough to miss the astigmatism in your eye. Oh course, this will depend on your scope.
Hope this helps
Buck

January 7, 2005 01:42 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

grab and go scope

Posted By Bernard Kean

Don
There is a TV85 with mount at a very good price up in Astromart right now in the Refractors section that would fit the bill.
Buck

January 10, 2005 04:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Re: Don't Laugh...

Posted By Bernard Kean

Carl Zambuto

January 13, 2005 10:17 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Aluminum Tube "Aux Naturel" - I gave up!

Posted By Bernard Kean

Mike
A clear anoxize would preserve the satin finish and not effecr the IR.
Buck

January 13, 2005 11:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Battery opperated hair dryers

Posted By Bernard Kean

Hi Maurice
Check about any large truck stop. They have all kinds of 12v items from hair dryers to TV's to ovens.
Hope this helps
Buck

January 24, 2005 01:29 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

what type of focuser should i get??

Posted By Bernard Kean

Hi Brian
I had one of the original gray tube Hardin DSH8" and found that an better 1.25"/2" adapter cured the problem. I purchased a compression model from Mercury System Support and it fit much better in the focuser than the stock one that came with the DSH8".
http://home.si.rr.com/mssproducts/
Hope this helps
Buck

January 28, 2005 03:17 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Classifieds

Posted By Bernard Kean

Hi John
I don't know of anything, unless your add got tagged with your old email address, or maybe lagtime after you updated the profile. You may try deleting the old ad and repost and state your email problem, then wait and see.
Hope this helps
Buck

January 28, 2005 12:54 PM Forum: Eyepieces

31 Nagler or 41 Panoptic?

Posted By Bernard Kean

Hi Jason
Welcome to the expensive world of Naglers! Off hand I would say yes it should, however I would suggest going to the Televue web site and use their Eyepiece Calculator. Plug in your scope specs and it will calculate much useful information for all TV eyepieces and print it out. The big issue I see would be the exit pupil size, getting in those longer FL the exit pupil gets huge and could be a problem.
Hope this helps
Buck