guiding ccd cameras

Posted By Rod Mollise

Google is your friend:

http://www.fishcamp.com/starfish.html

:-)

October 11, 2007 12:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

TV on an LXD?

Posted By Rod Mollise

This scope shouldn't be any kind of a challenge for this mount. Folks do mount 10-inch SNTs on 'em and they are at least workable--for visual use anyhoo.

wink

October 15, 2007 12:27 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

ORION's new StarShoot Solar System Color Imager II

Posted By Rod Mollise

The Yahoogroup for the Starshoot (i.e. the deep sky cam) has some discussion of this camera as well.

October 16, 2007 03:50 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade RCX400 Versus A Real RC (anyone)?

Posted By Rod Mollise

It's probably better to talk about what the RCX does better than the other SCTs, which it resembles much more than the R-Cs. It's got a faster f/ratio, a lot of cool doo-dads (which I hope Meade is now committed to gettin' working), and a very good field edge. The gurus may tell you that this aplantic SCT doesn't deliver images that are quite as sharp at the field center as a standard SCT, but the fact is that stars are tighter at the edge and that the field looks better to the eye and the camera.

What would convince me to buy one? Other than getting the bugs out, offer the f/8 RCX as an OTA only.

wink

October 16, 2007 04:49 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade ETX 5".

Posted By Rod Mollise

Well, it does have a fairly large CO due to the secondary obstruction, but that doesn't seem to hurt it too much. The opics on mine are flat out amazing. Very good contrast and sharpness. Definitely superior to the C5...slightly at least...and that's a scope I've always respected.

Whether you'd like this f/15 scope depends on your needs. It's a great grab 'n go...enough aperture to see something, even under less than perfect skies, but still reasonably light and small.

October 16, 2007 04:51 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Cooling fan essential.

Posted By Rod Mollise

Depends on where you live, and, to some extent, the scope. Down here on the Sunny (and hot and humid) Gulf Coast, my ETX125 is fine without one.

October 18, 2007 11:54 AM Forum: Celestron

Whatever happened to...

Posted By Rod Mollise

Rat-Cheer...IF you've got the required dineros.

wink

http://www.planewaveinstruments.com/

October 20, 2007 08:57 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Advice on a Meade 2080 I saw on Craigslist...good

Posted By Rod Mollise

Anthony Morse said:

Does this seem like a good buy? It's about an hour and a half away.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/sys/452030222.html

Is it a decent scope?

If it's a good buy what should I check? I am unfamiliar with this model.

Thanks for any insight.

Depends on the price you can negotiate. This is a 20 year old telescope with its standard accessories and a few plossl eyepieces. Do be aware that Meade's initial f/6.3 OTAs (of which this is one) were not noted for their optical quality.

For 400 bucks or less, it might be nice.

October 20, 2007 09:01 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

The Herd Mentality

Posted By Rod Mollise

My approach is similar, with the addendum that I've purty much given up the ST80s. With the ED 66s going for the very reasonable prices they go for, there's no reason to glom onto an 80 anymore. Frankly, though it offers a little less aperture, I see more with the WO Patriot 66 than I do with the ST80 due to its considerably better optics.

October 20, 2007 10:22 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Anyone own a Jason Comet 480?

Posted By Rod Mollise

Let me add to what I said about the 480. The optics are certainly OK. Remember this is a 3-inch scope. It's probably comparable to your average Short Tube 80. The only really bad thing on Elizabeth's Comet (which has a black tube)? The horrid little finder (single element objective).