My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Doug Scobel

October 19, 2004 04:14 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Is this a Lumicon?

Posted By Doug Scobel

My Lumicon UHC is unmarked, but the OIII is marked as such. They're both around ten years old, tho I can't say exactly. I bought them both brand new and still have the original boxes with the bandpass transmission numbers.

Hope this helps you sleep better. smile

Doug

October 28, 2004 12:01 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

October 28, 2004 01:23 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Eclipse from Houston, TX + animation

Posted By Doug Scobel

Cool, James. I like the animation, even if it is cheesy. grin

Doug

October 29, 2004 12:01 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Which bit 'o kit gave you the best eclipse view?

Posted By Doug Scobel

I used my eyeballs and my 13" f/4.5 dob with 28mm Pretoria eyepiece, 53x. The view through the scope was spectacular, lots of background stars, even watched an 11th or 12th mag star get occulted.

For me the view through a scope is superior because you can easily see that it's a shadow advancing across the moon's disk. I don't get that impression naked eye or in binocs.

Here's a link to an earlier post of mine re: the eclipse:

http://www.astromart.com/forums/viewpost.asp?forum_post_id=265695&poll_id=&news_id=

Doug

November 4, 2004 12:43 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

chairs

Posted By Doug Scobel

Here's one I made myself. Kind of a knock-off of some commercial ones you've seen. I use it with my homemade 13" dob. It works well.

Doug

November 4, 2004 10:01 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

first time sky portraits

Posted By Doug Scobel

I have Kodak Ektachrome 100-speed slide film. Does anyone have any ideas as to how long I should expose? Should I bracket (I guess there's little chance of actually "overexposing," right?)

And what's the upper time limit to avoid star trails?

If you want to avoid star trails, then with a 35mm lens I would guess 30 seconds will start to show trailing. 20 seconds should be OK. No risk of sky fogging with that short an exposure.

Also how does potential cold (around 0') effect exposure time?

Shouldn't matter. Because you're using a manual camera you don't have to worry about the cold affecting the batteries, either.

I have used ISO 100 Kodak Elite II (really Ektachrome), and had it pushed to ISO 400 (2 stops) when processing. That was several years ago (1998) so I don't know if that's recommended with the film you are using. Perhaps others with more experience can comment.

Good luck,
Doug

November 5, 2004 09:13 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Help identify mystery eyepiece

Posted By Doug Scobel

The barrel looks exactly like an old Edmund Kellner that was given to me back in 1969. I believe mine actually said '1" Kellner' on it. It had two different-looking doublets as well. IIR the eye lens was smaller in diameter than the field lens. I gave it away decades ago so I'm doing this from memory, but I'm sure that the barrel design is the same. It sure looks like an old Edmund to me.

Hope this helps,
Doug

November 19, 2004 12:21 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

Meteor shower? can't believe nobody has said ?

Posted By Doug Scobel

Same thing every year. The cloud nebula overwhelms all this time of year, at least here in MI. sad Same prospects for next year's Mars opposition. cwy

Doug

November 24, 2004 08:08 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Plato Observation (November 22, 2004)

Posted By Doug Scobel

Superb, Carlos!

Makes me want to get out and try some lunar sketching myself. But sketching in sub-freezing temperatures doesn't sound much like fun. 8O I may wait until spring.

Thanks for sharing,
Doug

December 9, 2004 12:49 PM Forum: Film Astrophotography - Imaging and Processing

North America Nebula

Posted By Doug Scobel

I like it a lot, Tom. Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

Doug