My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Doug Scobel

May 2, 2005 07:00 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Inexpensive roll up table

Posted By Doug Scobel

Thanks for the heads up, Floyd. I've always used a regular card table, but the $40.00+ price tag of the Orion roll up version has kept me from buying one.

I'm stopping at Target on my way home from work tonight! smile

Doug

May 4, 2005 11:53 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mirror shipping and packing

Posted By Doug Scobel

Great job, Floyd.

The Spectrum Coatings web site has excellent instructions (with pictures) on packing mirrors for shipment - very similar to what Floyd did:

http://www.spectrum-coatings.com/Telescope-Mirror_Packing.htm

Doug

May 4, 2005 04:51 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Just a quick poll.

Posted By Doug Scobel

In 1969 (I was 14) started with a 6" f/8 that was given to me - sans primary mirror. Made my own mirror for it and it served me well until the early '80's. Now split my time between 13" f/4.5 and 8" f/8 Newts, both homemade. Still have the 6" tho.

Doug

May 5, 2005 04:34 PM Forum: Star Parties

CSSP anyone?

Posted By Doug Scobel

Looking forward to it, folks. Look for me if you wish - I'll have the 13" (see my profile picture) - it would be nice to meet some of you in person.

Counting the days... grin

Doug

May 11, 2005 12:25 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

3C 273 With A 4" Telescope, 2005/05/08

Posted By Doug Scobel

Great job, Dave! And thanks for the links. I've never observed it, so I'll check it out when I'm at the CSSP (at CSSP) in a few weeks.

Doug

May 13, 2005 01:09 PM Forum: Eyepieces

32mm UO Konig?

Posted By Doug Scobel

David, I use one (1 1/4" barrel) in my 8" f/8 reflector - I like it a lot. It ought to work well in your f/10's.

I have no idea re: a good used price.

Doug

May 17, 2005 07:34 PM Forum: TeleVue

5 mm Radian Review

Posted By Doug Scobel

I also own a 5mm Radian and find it extremely good on planets and deep sky alike. Far, far superior to my old 4.8 Nagler (original type) that I used to own. It not only works great on planets in my 8" f/8, but also fantastic on globulars in my 13.1" f/4.5. M13 from a dark site in the 13" with the 5mm is truly a sight to behold. smile

I also own 14mm and 8mm Radians. When doubled with my 2x TV Barlow I also get the equivalent of 7mm, 4mm, and 2.5mm FLs. They're definitely keepers. grin

Doug

May 20, 2005 08:34 PM Forum: Telescope Making

perfect parabola - hard to grind?

Posted By Doug Scobel

Hi, Marcin,

You've already gotten some good advice, and it doesn't sound like you need any more encouragement, but here's an article on the subject that I wrote for my club newsletter a couple years ago. There's nothing like the personal satisfaction you'll get when you look through a telescope with a mirror you made yourself. grin

http://www.umich.edu/~lowbrows/reflections/2003/dscobel.11.html

As others have said, go ahead and do it!

Doug

May 24, 2005 04:01 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

with your significant other

Posted By Doug Scobel

Very, very, rarely will my wife come out for a peek, but only if I've got the scope in the backyard. Out to a dark sky site or heaven forbid a star party - forget it.

Doug

May 26, 2005 12:18 PM Forum: Telescope Making

How To Question

Posted By Doug Scobel

If I may chime in, I've been contemplating doing this for my 8" scope which also has a Novak nine point cell. The problem with the clips is that it is difficult to get them spaced and set correctly to hold the mirror securely while avoiding pinching it. I’ve found that the way I have it now is OK as long as the weather is warm, but in cold weather the mirror is pinched. My guess is it’s because it’s a Pyrex mirror (very small COE) in an aluminum cell (relatively high COE). So I’ve been contemplating gluing the mirror in, eliminating the clips, but I don’t like the idea of gluing, which can create problems when you want to clean the mirror or have it recoated.

Something I’m now considering is eliminating the clips and holding the mirror down using Velcro as shown in the picture. It’s from a homemade cell made by Lee Stock (hope he doesn’t mind me using his picture.) There would be no need to glue in the mirror in this case - the triangles could just float.

Food for thought.

Doug