Posts Made By: Mark Peterman

November 26, 2005 05:32 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

JMI NGF Focuser Mods?

Posted By Mark Peterman

I've searched for, but could not find, any mods related to the JMI NGF series of crayford focusers.

I have a DX3 that seems a little too stiff and a bit rough, or "bumpy". My previous DX2 had the same issues, although not as bad.

Any ideas of what I could do to smooth this out? (Upgrading to a Feathertouch or Moonlite excluded.) sad

Thanks,

Mark

February 26, 2007 06:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

eyepiece rack - looking for a source

Posted By Mark Peterman

I can't seem to find a source for those eyepiece racks you see sold with the commercial dobs. You know, the ones with a combination of 1.25"/2" holes in them that mount to the side of a dobs rocker box.

Anyone know who sells these?

Thanks,

Mark

March 30, 2007 03:28 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Mirror Mounting

Posted By Mark Peterman

I just rec'd my new Stevens Optical 10" f/4.5 mirror. 8) The specs look great.

I am reconfiguring my mirror cell according to PLOP by making it 6 points with each set of two points "teetering".

One thing that I am not sure of is the size of pads to use. PLOP either doesn't indicate this numerically or I am just supposed to measure the pads shown on the Cell Design print out. Anyone know?

Also, what material is recommended for the mirror to rest on? I have some rubber pads that came with the cell (Discovery) originally but was also thinking of using felt or cork.

Lastly, this being a 10" of 1.3" thickness, what about just using silicon? (I believe the Port-a-ball scopes were done like this with 1.125" blobs at the six locations.)

Thanks for any help. Anxious to get this mirror installed.

Mark

July 16, 2009 01:35 PM Forum: Meade

Where made?

Posted By Mark Peterman

I understand that Meade is now having their scopes made in Mexico. What was the last year that the LX series (LX90 and LX200) scopes were made in the US?

Thanks,

Mark

July 28, 2009 04:16 PM Forum: Meade

f/6.3 vs. f/10

Posted By Mark Peterman

When did Meade last make the f/6.3 version of the LX200? Were these considered equal to the f/10's in quality?

Did the f/6.3 have a mirror configured for f/6.3 or did they use the same mirror as the f/10 and run it through a focal reducer?

Any thoughts on why the f/6.3 wasn't more popular?

Thanks,

Mark

August 17, 2012 02:09 PM Forum: A Day in the Life of the Administrator

Subscriber or Supporter, is there a difference?

Posted By Mark Peterman

I've seen these words used interchangeably and I have seen them appear to mean something different.

Under the new policy, when I pay $15, what am I considered, a subscriber or supporter and what privileges come with that?

Thanks,

Mark

August 19, 2012 04:00 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Size of collimator, 2" or 1.25"

Posted By Mark Peterman

Probably insignificant but if six of my seven eyepieces are 1.25" and the lone 2" EP is a 35mm Panoptic, would a 1.25" laser collimator be the best choice versus a 2" collimator?

I'm not sure anyone uses 2" EPs exclusively so I'm not sure why the lasers come in both sizes.

August 30, 2012 10:19 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Orion XTG dobs

Posted By Mark Peterman

Looking for any insight to the Orion XT12G (or smaller G models). I am really trying to talk myself into one of these but am unsure about the reliability of the drives.

I have read all the reviews that I could find (all mostly positive) and I have seen two for sale that mention 'slipping' which requires a nudge to get the scope moving again and various creaking noises.

I'm hoping there are a few of you out there that have one of these or that have seen one in use and can shed some additional insight.

Thanks in advance.

-Mark

September 8, 2012 03:35 AM Forum: Ask rating questions here

Am I just cranky?

Posted By Mark Peterman

I have rated nearly 90 transactions since 2001. I cannot recall any during that time that I considered giving less than 5 stars. Now, this week I have had two in a row where I don't think I could say either transaction deserves 5 stars.

The first involved a "like new with box and instructions" for a very fair price. It was shipped promptly and packed very well and the item was in great condition, however, it was missing the 2"-1-1/4" adapter that was included when the item was new. When I brought this to the sellars attention, asking if it was maybe just an oversight on his part and did he have it laying around somewhere. His only response was along the lines of, "looked for it after I shipped, can't find it..... Sorry about that...".

With the second item, it was agreed that I would pay $3 paypal fee and $6 for USPS Priority shipping. Payment was received by the sellar on Wednesday (9/5). The item did not actually ship until Friday (9/7) and tracking says it will not arrive until 9/13. Too long to have been shipped priority in my estimate. I've shipped in 3 business days from California 3 times this week. Why would this one be 5 business days.

I have always tried hard to maintain a 5 star rating for myself so I hesitate giving anyone else less. Is it my old age making me cranky or do I have some legitimate complaints about these two sellars and they way they handled these transactions?

-Mark

September 12, 2012 01:08 PM Forum: ASTRONOMY

Congratulations to George Hall

Posted By Mark Peterman

Congratulations to Texas Astronomical Society Member, George Hall, for capturing on video the latest apparent impact on Jupiter.

http://cosmiclog.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/09/10/13789057-flash-spotted-on-jupiter-is-it-a-hit?lite

His video was able to confirm the visaul observation and report by Dan Petersen.