Posts Made By: Brian Maynard

January 4, 2003 10:45 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Take a look at this

Posted By Brian Maynard

I was attempting my first mosaic of M42 with my ST5 camera from SBIG. On the last two frames, in the upper right, I caught an obect passing through the FOV. The FOV for an ST5 at 750 mm FL is about 14' across (correct me if I'm wrong). The object only moves roughly 10.5' in 20 seconds. In the image is the distance it travled in 40 seconds. I'm sure a sattelite or a plain would move through the FOV in far less than 40 seconds. I'm calling it an asteroid unless someone can tell me what else it might be. Thanks

January 4, 2003 11:02 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Saturn

Posted By Brian Maynard

Thought I'd throw in my image of Saturn. ST5 camera, 8" LX200GPS @ F/30. Processed with CCDSOFT and Adobe

January 4, 2003 11:31 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

145 frame mosaic of near full moon

Posted By Brian Maynard

145 frame mosaic. ST5, 8" LX200GPS @ F/10

January 4, 2003 11:44 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Having a hard time with jupiter

Posted By Brian Maynard

Looking at everybodys pictures of Jupiter makes me realize how bad mine is. I just can't get the detail that other 8" scopes are getting. any suggestions would be welcome.

February 16, 2003 01:07 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Orion

Posted By Brian Maynard

I must say that I'm very impressed with every image of M42 that has been posted here. I would like to share one particular image of Orion that I have that has what I believe to be an astroid passing in front of this beautiful nebula. I got no responce the last time I posted it and I'm having a hard time thinking that nobody is impressed with this image. I know the image itself sucks but the fact that there is an asteroid passing through makes this the most unique image of M42 I have ever seen.

February 16, 2003 01:19 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Two questions I can't find an answer for.

Posted By Brian Maynard

Question 1. I know why Polaris doesn't seem to move much during the course of an evening but it also doesn't seem to move during the course of a year either. I would think that its position in the sky would be signifintly different in December than it is in June but to me it just doesnt seem to move at all.
Question 2. My LX200GPS is mounted on a wedge and it does a great job on centering objects in the FOV. One night I tried to locate an object manualy using the setting circles and I realized that something else is needed besides the RA and Dec because no matter what time it is it points to the same area of the sky. I know I'm missing something but I just can't figure it out.

March 8, 2003 03:32 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

To buy or not to buy.

Posted By Brian Maynard

OK, I'm going crazy trying to get some decent images from my current equipment. I'm having trouble night after night trying to get images with my itty-bitty ST5C. But there are other problems that I'm having that are not related to the CCD camera. My location is not suited for imaging. Light polution and just plain terrible seeing every night. Packing everything up for an hour drive to the sticks with long setup times just for a few hours of imaging doesnt appeal to me either. But one thing I do love is astronomy and it drives me to keep trying. So I need some advice. The fancy, large pixel array, self-guiding and high dollar CCD cameras from SBIG seem so attractive but I'm worried about spending four to seven thousand dollars on a camera and finding out that my location just isnt going to allow me to image. Do these cameras handle light polution any better than the almost microscopic ST5? And what about this adaptive optics thing. Does It really work or is it just ANOTHER money trap? I'll spend the money if it is worth it. If not, I'll sell it all and get a Harley. I need some facts. Thankyou come again.

March 18, 2003 09:05 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

wide field Juipter

Posted By Brian Maynard

ST7 8"LX2OO

March 23, 2003 12:18 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

A little help

Posted By Brian Maynard

After cleaning my equipment I still get these anouying dust donuts. Can you edit these out somehow without degrading the image?

March 27, 2003 11:55 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Home Obsevatory

Posted By Brian Maynard

I've been pricing some home domes on the net. WOW the're expensive. I've seen some other home made jobs where the roof slides out of the way, but I would really like a dome model. Can a guy get a classic obsevatory thats, 1) made in America, and 2) under $3000.00?