My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Vincent Bert

May 22, 2005 11:37 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

NGC 5139 (Omega Centauri)

Posted By Vincent Bert

where are you located? 5139 is spectacular, of course it may be so low on your horizon that it is difficult to detect. It is easily a naked eye object from mag 5 skies in southern CA.

May 28, 2005 11:20 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter 5/28 with Ganymede and Busy STB

Posted By Vincent Bert

Very cool Chris! Ganymede looks almost 3D. Just incredible. Could you enlarge that with the original file and post it? Great work Chris, Vince

May 30, 2005 05:09 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Which webcam?

Posted By Vincent Bert

Hi Ron. Like you I too fancied myself a die hard visual oberserver with my 4" refractor and my 20" Dob. I thought i would never be interested in any kind of imaging but got additcted to webcam imaging very quickly. I am by no means an expert but here's my 2 cents. I would get the Toucam with adapter. I use the old toucam and capture using the supplied software, process in Registax. If you feel the need later you may want to look at the Lumenara cameras which are quite a bit more expensive, or the Monochrome DMK 21BF04 firewire camera. Several folks on this forum have done incredible stuff with those cameras. IMO the cooled SAC cameras do not really help S/N on the planets since the exposure time is so short. With 4" of aperature you will be limited with respect to resolution but should still get some fine images, especially of the Moon. Also I would think that a 5X powermate would be just fine giving you a FL of around 4400mm. At 4400mm you might be somewhat limited in the light gathering department, but maybe someone who has experience with this combo could chime in. I use my webcam with my C8 and 2X barlow which gives me 4000mm and I would not want to image the planets with anything under about 3000mm. Much less than that and your image scale would be pretty small especially on Mars. But beware of the dark side, for it will suck you in and there is no coming back. I started off webcamming planets and the moon and got the itch for imaging DSO's also. So i took the plunge and bought an ST2000 which I use with my 4" Tak and GM8. 4 or 5 inches will show a wealth of detail on the larger DSO's, in fact I am still amazed after my very first DSO imaging session last month. Forgive me for posting an image a off topic for the forum but it gives you an idea of what a 4" scope is capable of even with my inexperience with imaging. the great thing about CCD's and autoguiding is that after I set up a 2 hour shot and let the magic plug away, I am back to hunting obscure dim fuzzies with my 20 incher until its time to set up another shot. Good luck, and caution...imaging is VERY addicting. 8)

June 8, 2005 12:11 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

ST2k and Losmandy Titan Gemini

Posted By Vincent Bert

I believe so, I have to use it with with my ST2K and non-goto GM8, but I could be wrong......Even if you dont think you need it, it will protect your mounts electronics.

June 13, 2005 05:39 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

M16 in H-Alpha, AP-130 F/6, SXV-H9

Posted By Vincent Bert

Thats a great image Ralph!! I love HA more than RGB. What filter are you using?

June 24, 2005 08:09 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

A final Jupiter

Posted By Vincent Bert

Nice. I'd be happy to get an image like that anytime! So I guess we are all gonna crash Damian's party in Barbados for the next few years wink

June 24, 2005 08:15 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Morning Mars June 23 2005

Posted By Vincent Bert

Amazing image Wes, better than I got from the 03 season at opposition! Yeah, I think the dark area in the polar cap is from all the shrubbery in bloom this time of year wink If I was a plant living on Mars thats where I would want to be.

July 8, 2005 10:55 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

NGC 6888 in Ha

Posted By Vincent Bert

Thanks everyone. This was the first time I used my new Ha filter....and I like it! It was kind of a way for me to put off buying a color filter wheel and filter set. 8)

July 14, 2005 05:51 AM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Mewlon won't come to focus with AP telecompressor!

Posted By Vincent Bert

Hey Enrico! The heck with the focal reducer, given the quality of your short exposure first light data I say you should listen to your buddy. Go for it, capture some big data on small objects that are out of the reach of many of our setups. I bet you get stuff as good or better than the big bucks RC's! I look forward to you next images.

October 25, 2005 04:36 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky

Tak Setup

Posted By Vincent Bert

Nice Rig! Better move it out of the kitchen before your wife comes home.