Posts Made By: Vincent Bert

May 2, 2004 02:32 AM Forum: Telescope Making

speed control for CPU fans

Posted By Vincent Bert

What would I need to control the speed on my mirror cooling fans? Can get it online or at radio shack? thanks in advance, Vince

May 4, 2004 05:27 PM Forum: Solar System Observing

Experienced visual planetary observers

Posted By Vincent Bert

My post is a little blurry between equipment and solar system observing but I chose to post here because I didnt want to start a "my scope is better" debacle on the other forum. I am building a dedicated planetary scope not bigger than feet on ground. It will be either a 10" F6 or a 12.5" F5. I know many of you have years of experience in planetary observation with many scopes. Would you trade 2.5 inches of aperature for a little longer focal length mirror maybe getting a better figure? I am leaning toward the 12.5 F5 to get the extra resolution. The seeing at my planetary site is consistently fair to good P5 to P6. I know I couldnt go wrong with either scope. Any comments about your FIRST HAND visual experiences comparing planetary observations in similar scopes is appreciated. thanks, Vince

May 5, 2004 08:37 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Jupiter double moon transit last month

Posted By Vincent Bert

I was cleaning out my hard drive and found a stray AVI that i took of the double moon transit on Jupiter about a month ago. I decided to process it and it turned out to be the best one of the batch except for that darned speck of dust on the ccd. C8 @ F20, toucam pro. Thanks for looking, Vince

May 18, 2004 09:57 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

NGC 4565 sketch

Posted By Vincent Bert

Sketch done at EP with C8@130X. NELM 6.5

May 18, 2004 10:11 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

M82 sketch

Posted By Vincent Bert

Sketch done at EP, C8 @ 130X NELM 6.5

May 25, 2004 10:33 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Re: Servocat goto

Posted By Vincent Bert

Nice scope! From what I can see in the picture you did one heck of a custom install job on the cat, VERY clean. I especially like the cover on the alt motor and easy access to the panel on the servocat box.

May 26, 2004 05:13 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Bino v. Cyclops observing report

Posted By Vincent Bert

I am normally a lurker here. Anyway since reading some of the recent posts I think a bino v. cyclops report would be in order. I just took the plunge and have a Denk II with all the bells and whistles on the way and it should be in my greedy little hands in a couple of weeks. It will be used primarily in my 20" F4.5 sevocat equipped scope but will also be used with my FS-102 and Solarmax 60. I intend on comparing showpiece galaxies, nebulae, globs and OC's. I am also looking forward to comparing the views of small/dim galaxy clusters and planetaries in bino v. cyclops. Comparison reports would have really helped me out when I first started researching binoviewing but sadly there were very few posted. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for good weather AND for the binos to show up so I can do some objective comparisons that I can post here next month. Vince

May 31, 2004 08:50 PM Forum: Binoviewers

Affordable widefield EP pairs, and UO HD Orthos.

Posted By Vincent Bert

I am looking for some affordable EP pairs and came across Tom M's report of the W70's in F7 and F8 scopes. Have any of you used the 25mm or 19mm in a fast scope (around F4.5 or so) in low power mode? I would be interested to hear how bad the seagulls are at the edge. Any other suggestions would be welcome as I am starting to cringe thinking of the price tag on a pair of 24mm Pans. I am also considering the 12mm UO HD Orthos for planetary work and am interested if the eyelense is large enough for comfortable binoviewing. Thanks in advance, Vince

June 4, 2004 05:11 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Cat's Eye unmodified webcam

Posted By Vincent Bert

After Jupiter had set last night I was messing around with the Toucam and my 20" scope and got a kick out of this image. 1/25 sec, 1200 frames stacked.

June 14, 2004 07:21 AM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

NGC 4565

Posted By Vincent Bert

I can never resist sketching this fine object. the view at the EP was absolutely stunning and my meager sketch does not really do it justice. 20" F4.5 Night Sky truss dob, Mesquite Springs, Death Valley, CA NELM 7.9