My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ken Fiscus

March 29, 2004 01:37 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Thanks to Astroscan Advisers

Posted By Ken Fiscus

I got the front window off without incident thanks to those who have boldly gone before me. Borrowing a gearhead's fancy split ring pliers was the key. It's as good as new and dust free now. Thanks again to the guys who advised me on the procedure.
Ken

March 29, 2004 01:39 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Thanks to Astroscan Advisors

Posted By Ken Fiscus

Thanks to those who responded to my Astroscan opening querry. It went without incident. The key was borrowing a friend's fancy split ring pliers. Everything is dust free and reassembled now-thanks to your help.
Ken

April 22, 2004 04:03 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Your Invitation

Posted By Ken Fiscus

Anybody in/near south-central Minnesota is invited to my 5th annual "Walk Through the Solar System" being held in conjunction with National Astronomy Day. It is this Saturday, April 24 from 8-10PM on the outskirts of tiny Hollandale, Minnesota. The "Walk" starts at a 15" lit sun and proceeds down a barricaded gravel road from planet to planet until reaching a tiny, scale Pluto 1.1 mile away. Each participant receives a passport that can be stamped at each planet by the guide waiting there. Need more info? Respond to this posting...

April 22, 2004 04:05 AM Forum: Solar System Observing

Your Invitation

Posted By Ken Fiscus

True-to-scale solar system on National Astronomy Day. See posting in Off Topics Forum.

April 24, 2004 12:09 AM Forum: Star Parties

Your Invitation-Rain or Shine

Posted By Ken Fiscus

See Invitation at Off-Topics Forum. South-central Minnesota.

May 11, 2004 09:23 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Fans sucking and blowing...

Posted By Ken Fiscus

What about dust?!? I do sidewalk astronomy and dirt lot astronomy. Boundary layers are the least of my worries.
Ken

May 11, 2004 09:28 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade Electronic Eyepiece

Posted By Ken Fiscus

I remember reading in a review of the Meade electronic EP (S&T?) that the focal length was approximately that of a 4mm eyepiece. Does that seem like a reasonable figure? I've gotten some nice low-tech, no fuss video of Jupiter, Saturn, and the moon and the public ALWAYS asks for the magnification when I use the gadget. I'd like to come up with an answer which is also affected by the size of monitor/TV screen I'm using. How do I figure that in ?!?

December 24, 2004 08:45 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Great Astronomy Quotes Needed

Posted By Ken Fiscus

I teach an Intro. to Astronomy class at a local community college and I like to have a neat/inspirational astronomy-related quote on the board to greet my students as they come to each week's class. Each semester has around 18 class sessions and I could use a few more. I'll give you an example of one of my favorites and if this generates much feedback or if you'd like me to share more I'll oblige. Here goes: "We have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." Words on the crypt (telescope pier in observatory) containing the remains of Mr. & Mrs. John A. Brashear, famous American telescope and gratings builders.

Please try to get the quotes accurately if you share them with me/us. I don't want to have to hunt down tantalizing sorta-quotes. That's why I'm mooching off y'all. Thanks in advance.
Ken

December 26, 2004 11:37 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Re: Huge earthquake and Tsunami

Posted By Ken Fiscus

Horrible...This is one of the strongest earthquakes ever. This will lend support to the theory of tidal influences on earthquakes since it's a full moon. Other big-time quakes have occurred near new and full moons. Proving this theory is tough, since many earthquakes occur any old time.

January 7, 2005 07:23 AM Forum: After Dark

Well, the mosquitoes weren't biting...

Posted By Ken Fiscus

I just got back in from trying some astrophotos of C. Machholz & the Pleiades. Wind chill a little below zero here in southern Minnesota. The seeing was okay. The wind probably ruined my shots when gusts bumped the rig. I'm trying to use a newly acquired LX200 as a tracking platform for a piggybacked camera with wide-angle lens. I'm fairly pessimistic about my chances of getting any good shots. This was the first clear night since the storm and full moon.