March 23, 2005 07:05 PM Forum: Meade

Autoostar -Time

Posted By James Benton

its local time (standard time) to the location you are viewing from

James

March 31, 2005 04:25 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Help with Falcon ID

Posted By James Benton

looks more like a red tailed hawk, a peregrine falcon is a bit smaller and thinner, with different coloring

here is a link to a peregrine
http://www.enature.com/fieldguide/showSpeciesIMG.asp?imageID=16977

James

April 6, 2005 01:49 AM Forum: Star Parties

Is anybody else revving up for the TSP

Posted By James Benton

Yes I cant wait to go. I NEED A VACATION!!!!

but I have a lot of equipment tweaking to do and time is running out 8O

James

April 26, 2005 03:39 PM Forum: Meade

Will A DS-114ATE Dissapoint A First Time User??

Posted By James Benton

you might be better off saving a few more bucks and getting something like celestron FirstScope 114 EQ or a meade equilivent.

a 4.5" apeture scope will give you some good views but not outstanding. If you can find an astronimy club in your area and meet up with them and have a look through a few scopes before you make a purchase.

But take your time in picking out a scope and read as many reviews as you can. Stick with something that has 1.25" eyepieces or one that can do both 1.25" and 2" eyepieces.

Many beginners get discouraged in astronomy due to poor or inappropriate equipment.

James

April 27, 2005 06:01 PM Forum: Star Parties

Is anybody else revving up for the TSP

Posted By James Benton

if you have not heard, they plan on having the wireless internet access up and running this year. Not like last year where it was a hit or miss and didnt work.

each observing field will have its own wireless "access point" and "key" also there will be hard lines (cat5 cable) at the lodge if you dont have wireless capability

and it will be free. Limited transfer rates will apply and they will ban you if you start too many large file up or downloads.

James

April 30, 2005 03:01 AM Forum: After Dark

What's that?

Posted By James Benton

satalites perhapse?

I once saw 3 traveling together, they formed a triangle with the single satalite in front. looked very odd until their paths took them in seperate directions. It lasted about 3 minutes or so

James

May 5, 2005 01:44 AM Forum: Star Parties

TSP Report

Posted By James Benton

with nothing else to due because of the cloud cover I decided to shoot some long exposures of the upper field

http://www.nightshooter.com/tsp2005/index.html

James

May 9, 2005 07:10 PM Forum: Meade

Tripod bag

Posted By James Benton

I now use my tripod bag as a tent bag. It was a big hassell getting the tripod in and out of the bag. But if you are doing a lot of traveling with the scope/tripod them maybe you should get one.

The one I had was for the LX90 8", same tripod as the LX200 8 & 10". I havent seen a whole lot of tripod bags for the meade stuff, but I guess a bag is a bag. You may have to take the mount assistant off to get it in the bag.

James

May 10, 2005 01:05 PM Forum: Meade

LX-90 LNT 10" and 12" SCTs

Posted By James Benton

what type of details are you looking for. I didnt know the LX90 was coming in the 10 and 12" version until I saw your post and looked them up. The level North Technology looks cool

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=224&pid=9096&m=

Im guessing they will be similar to the LX200 seires, but minus a few upgrades. Remember the Optics in the LX90 are the same as the LX200, just the forks, mount and Autostar are different. Also on the LX200 you can lock the mirror in place

James

May 18, 2005 02:43 PM Forum: Meade

5" refractor wow what a lemon this time

Posted By James Benton

My LXD-75 AR5 was fine. The RA motor was lose, but easly fixed. Mine was in the very first batch that shipped out last August.

Meade can be hard to deal with, but have your friend insist Meade take it back and either replace it or fix it.

Maybe Opt can be of assistance in finding the correct people to talk to at Meade.

James