Posts Made By: Andrea Salati

May 25, 2003 06:50 PM Forum: TeleVue

Finderscope Adapter Block

Posted By Andrea Salati

Does anyone use it? I am interested into purchasing one but I would be attaching a Celestron support (Quick Release Finder Bracket 50 mm., model 51149-A) and it seems to me it wouldn't work with that because everywhere I see it advertised with a Losmandy unit.
Can anyone confirm this? Thank you.

September 8, 2003 07:19 PM Forum: Meade

C11 OTA on a 12" LX200 mount

Posted By Andrea Salati

For reasons too long to explain, we are considering installing a C11 OTA in a 12" LX200 mount. Has anyone done that before? Horror stories you want to share? Hints and tips maybe? Thank you in advance,

Andrea

September 8, 2003 07:22 PM Forum: Celestron

C11 OTA on a 12" LX 200 mount

Posted By Andrea Salati

For reasons too long to explain, we are considering installing a C11 OTA in a 12" LX200 mount. Has anyone done that before? Horror stories you want to share? Hints and tips maybe? Thank you in advance,

Andrea

February 22, 2004 09:12 PM Forum: Meade

Declination control for Starfinder

Posted By Andrea Salati

I recently put my hands on a very old Starfinder Equatorial, the 10 inches one. The mount came with no declination control, neither manual nor electric.
Does anyone have a source where to find ideas and plans about how to make one? I know what Meade's looked like but copying that requires tools I don't have. An el cheapo solution would be more like it ...

February 22, 2004 09:52 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Help needed

Posted By Andrea Salati

I recently put my hands on a very old Starfinder Equatorial, the 10 inches one. The mount came with no declination control, neither manual nor electric.
Does anyone have a source where to find ideas and plans about how to make one? I know what Meade's looked like but copying that requires tools I don't have. I am no machinist ...

March 5, 2004 08:55 AM Forum: Refractors

Achromats

Posted By Andrea Salati

I do not mean to start a war on brands or designers or manufacturers or anything like that.
I am considering buying a 6" achromat in a lens cell. I have personal reasons to avoid the chinese refractors the world is flooded with at the time being (I don't like the f/ ratios, in the first place).
I would love to go f/12 or f/15 (with the latter being the preferred one but not for "portability" ...).
I would appreciate your comments and reviews about D&G's and TMB/APM's Fraunhofers.

May 25, 2003 06:57 PM Forum: TeleVue

Televue 102/which mount to buy

Posted By Andrea Salati

Andrea from Italy here.
I used to use a CG11 but then I had to sell it because of a relocation. Then I bought a TV102. I used it some on an alt-az thing. Then on el-cheapo equatorial, a la C5.
You could tell the optics where great but ...
Then I bought, used, a Vixen GP-DX with a SS2000PC. It's awesome. The complete setup, a 7 amp battery included, can be lifted with one hand, at least I can, and it's small, light, sturdy, has the goto ability and works well. I wouldn't go back an inch from here. I don't do any imaging on film, just some occasional web cam work on the planets and I am happy of that too.
If you don't need the goto you could go cheaper and buy the drive controller.
Or you could buy a Synta/Star Watcher HEQ 5.
Enjoy your TV102 and write me an email if you want.

February 23, 2004 06:22 AM Forum: Meade

Posted By Andrea Salati

Look here:

http://www.buytelescopes.com/product.asp?t=52&pid=268&m=

Andrea

February 23, 2004 11:32 AM Forum: Meade

Posted By Andrea Salati

This picture is the best one I could find online.
I think it says it all.

Andrea