My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Ricardo Amador

January 29, 2004 04:10 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Check this out!!!!!!!!

Posted By Ricardo Amador

I am going to clean my telescopes mirror, what ideas do you have so i can mark where the mirror goes, being this mark resistant to alcohol??? and a lot of water. Do you think the central label for collimation would come off, it is a taped circular dot. what can i put there so it doesnt come off?.

Thanks a lot and clear skies

Ricardo R. Amador

January 29, 2004 04:44 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

IS THIS SAFE?????

Posted By Ricardo Amador

Hi is it safe to clean a telescope mirror with alcohol???, even if is pure, I read in a web site aliminized optics should not be cleanned with any time of alcohol, is this true? If is posible to clean with alcohol, could the final rinse be alcohol instead of destilled water, or is it prefered destilled water??? Thanks and clear skies.

Thanks, and clear skies.

Ricardo R. Amador

January 31, 2004 07:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

I BROKE MY PRIMARY MIRROR!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By Ricardo Amador

You guys were right, I shouldn't have cleanned my mirror, While I was washing my mirror, and was putting it in an inclined form to let it dry it fell to the floor and it broke....hehehe, nah just kidding, thank GOD that is not true. You all guys will be happy to know that I have decided not to touch my mirror and not clean it. I am going to be less obsesive about my optics and spend more time star gazing!!!!!
Thank you all for your advices. Best regards and clear skies.

Ricardo R. Amador

February 4, 2004 04:50 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Is this normal??? I AM A BIT WORRIED

Posted By Ricardo Amador

Hello all, The other day i noticed that the paper ring holding my LXD55 Schimdt Newtonian was a bit out, so I opened the outside ring and placed it well, as many of you know I am a bit of a trouble maker, so I turned my corrector plate a bit but then I positioned it almost exactly as it was, (I marked the real position), and centered the corrector plate to the OTA. I then collimated my telescope, with my sight, and with my laser collimator, but noticed a comma in Jupiter and some little comas in some stars, but this were almost unvisible, the one in jupiter at 32x was quite obvious. Is it normal in some nights no to see this comma???or is it my telescope bad?, does it have any effect on my telescope that I misplaced my corrector plate just a few mm???. I also noticed yesterday that I was looking to the moon there was a slight comma, I was seeing it only with my naked eye and my new glasses on, is this normal? or maybe my glasses are the one with the problem, I have astigmatism.

Thanks a lot for your advice, clear skies.

Ricardo R. Amador

February 8, 2004 03:34 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Good NEWS!!!!

Posted By Ricardo Amador

Hello all, many of you helped me with the problems I had with my telescope and let me thank you for your patiance. I finally fixed my telescope and its working flawlessly. Just one more question, I don't get to see pin point stars, well quite good, just not perfect, venus looks round and quite perfect, but when i see the stars at the edge of the field of view the stars don't look that good, is this normal in a f4 schimdt newtonian, doesn't the schimidt corrector plate supposely cancel this effect?

On good news, as many of you know I am from Nicaragua, Central America, and soon some friends and I will innagurate the first National Astronomy Club, so that is a nice thing for me. Thank again, and clear skies.

Ricardo R. Amador.

April 3, 2004 09:23 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

To all you experts!!!!!!!

Posted By Ricardo Amador

Hello all. I finally got my meade and celestro eyepiece deal. So I tried them yesterday night. When I saw jupiter using the 2x barlow from celestron and my high power 4mm meade eyepiece I noticed I couldn't see much detail in Jupiter, it was blurry. The magnification was around 405x. Is this normal for a 8" lxd 55 schimidt newtonian??? with 830 mm focal lenght? Another question. Can I use any type of barlow in either short and long focal radio telescope or are there some that are special for some of them?

Thanks a lot.

Ricardo R. Amador

May 21, 2004 06:50 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

is SN 10" TO BIG??? LXD75 POST

Posted By Ricardo Amador

Hello all I have a LXD55 8", but I am probably going to upgrade to the new lxd75 10", Is the 10" really big, heavy and troublesome to transport?, should I buy a 10", or stay with my 8". Are the views really a great improvement in the 10" telescope comparing to the 8"?. Do you guys think the new tripod is sturdy enough to support the 10" telescope?

Thanks a lot

Ricardo R. Amador

December 20, 2005 12:37 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

How good is the etx 125, NEED HELP!!!!

Posted By Ricardo Amador

Hi how are you all?, two years ago I bought the lxd55, 8" schmidt newt. The optics are quite good but the mount is terrible. I haven't been able to use the go to even once, because the gears slip.

I want to sell my scope and buy me the etx 125 uhtc, but is it really good?, is the mount good enough?, and is it really portable?, the most important reason I want to buy this scope is portability since I got tired of installing my old scope everytime, is damn heavy so I use it very little, I want a scope I can use more often.

So what do you guys recommend me should I go for the etx 125??(old version),

I have an other question, what is the main difference between the new etx 125 and the old one?, is it worth it?

Cheers and clear skies.

Ricardo R. Amador

December 21, 2005 03:40 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

What is the best binocular in $250 range

Posted By Ricardo Amador

Hi everyone, I want to give me a christmas gift and was thinking about buying my self some good binoculars, but I only want to spend up to $250, which is the best binocular I can buy a this price?, are orion binoculars any good for astronomy? I will like a 10 X 50 more or less.

Thanks a lot

Ricardo R. AMador

October 10, 2003 01:44 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Help I scratched my eyepiece, please respond

Posted By Ricardo Amador

Thanks guys for responding, the thing is I am kind of obssesive, and it hurts to scracth my eyepiece being new...
By the way the moon is great tonight, hope you can see it, I need to buy a moon filter cause it is too bright... 8 inch reflector.
Clear Skies

Ricardo