New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Walter Hamler

June 3, 2004 02:09 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Question for Rick and Vlad (Diagonals!)

Posted By Walter Hamler

Hey guru's smile
I was thinking as I was pushing glass today. (Dangerous wink ) If I get a good figure on my mirror so that I am pretty confident that when I put it in the scope it will give the "classic" straight ronchi lines when focused on a star, won't any diagonal problems surface as deviations in the ronchi lines when it is actually star tested in an ota?
In all my years of making scopes, I have never actually encountered a defective diagonal to the point that I knew it was inferior and had to replace it, and I have not always bought "high end" stuff.

Walt

June 8, 2004 05:14 PM Forum: CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System

Venus Transit, Orlando, FL

Posted By Walter Hamler

Here is my attempt, 350mm lens, cropped on PS. Sun was rising from behind a large thunderhead.

Walt

June 17, 2004 01:06 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Image Bounce with stepper motors

Posted By Walter Hamler

I just finished modifying a second TAL-2 mount with a set of the Losmandy G-11 Digital drives. These use Hurst stepper motors and I had to have Losmandy change the crystal and chip so it would work with my 180 tooth worm. First light a few days ago had a pretty severe image "bounce" that was visible at even the lowest powers. My counterweight was marginally too heavy with the ota I was using, so I made up a slightly lighter set but tonight the image bounce is still there. I can put my fingers on the end of the worm shaft and you can feel the pulses and when you look through the eyepiece, they are beating in unison with the image.
On my first mount that I modified (another TAL-2), I used a Celestron CI-700 drive that uses a different set of steppers and there is absolutely no bounce even at very high powers. They are both being pulsed at the same rate so I am wondering why the difference.
Any comments??

Walt

July 15, 2004 03:29 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Is ir me or the Pitch?

Posted By Walter Hamler

The last few mirrors I have been working on have really been frustrating during the polishing stage. Everything goes smoothly until I get about half way polished and then I start getting some kind of streaky mess on the mirror surface. Most often it ocurs when I have been working the mirror for about a half hour and you can hear the mirror squeeking occasionally, supposedly a good sign I have read. I have to put a much thicker slurry of Cerox on the lap and work it for about 10 minutes and it comes off readily. To my recollection, this problem has only surfaced after I started using Gugolz 64 pitch. I don't remember ever having the problem with Burgendy pitch in the past. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Walt

July 16, 2004 07:16 PM Forum: Pet Pics

Meet my staff

Posted By Walter Hamler

My staff usually take pretty good care of me. I'm partial to the old geezer.

Amelia

July 24, 2004 03:40 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Stepper Motor Bounce revisited

Posted By Walter Hamler

A few weeks ago I asked about the problem I had encountered with a new drive system on my eq mount. Basically I am seeing the image "bounce" because of the stepper motor. Origionally it was a Hurst stepper motor, but Losmandy sold me a newer version to see if it would eliminate the problem. At first I thought it had but at 150X it is still pretty obvious, but not to the point it totally destroys the fine detail.
I am looking for possible solutions that others have attempted or had success with. My first idea is to replace the large stainless steel gear on the motor with a version made from plastic or "Acetal". I have found a supplier that has an acetal version at a reasonable price, but I just wonder would the shock absorption be sufficient? Any ideas/inputs?

Walt

August 7, 2004 07:45 PM Forum: Telescope Making

My Latest Scope

Posted By Walter Hamler

Here is my latest, a 6" newt using an Orion 6" f/6.7 mirror.

Walt

August 11, 2004 10:27 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Binocular Mount

Posted By Walter Hamler

I recently bought a new pair of 15x70's so needed a bino mount. Got the plans readily on the web.
http://www.astrotom.com/projects/binocular_mount.htm They work pretty good but need some clear skies at night for the acid test smile

Walt

September 4, 2004 02:03 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Dec Problem with LX200 12"

Posted By Walter Hamler

Our club has just received a Meade 12" LX200 as a donation. The short cable that goes from the dec output to the dec motor input on the fork arm is missing. Is this a standard cat5 network cable or is it specific to the Meade? I tried a cat5 cable and nothing happens. The scope fires up, menu functions, goto appears to work, except the dec doesn't move. Slews and tracks in ra but no dec. This is with the cat5 cable attached.
Any help/input appreciated.

Walt

September 26, 2004 01:21 PM Forum: Telescope Making

Re: Once and for all..........what mirror coating?

Posted By Walter Hamler

Their regular coating is first class so I would stick with that.

Walt