Posts Made By: Steve Sands

January 24, 2007 01:54 PM Forum: Ask rating questions here

Help me Please USA astro frined.

Posted By Steve Sands

Everyone....

Do NOT post personal information in the forums. I have deleted Christian's post that lists a personal phone number:

4.2.4. Anacortes Telescope prohibits the transmission, distribution or posting of any matter which discloses personal or private information concerning any person or entity, including without limitation phone number(s) or addresses, credit/debit cards, calling cards, user account numbers/ passwords or similar financial information, and home phone numbers or addresses;

You can use AM messaging or personal emails to relay personal information. This thread is approaching public lynching levels without the other side's input. AM Forums are not the place for this activity.
I fully understand Christian's dilemma and appreciate everyone's desire to help Christian out, but take it off line and keep personal information off of the forums, please! This thread is for answering/resolving RATINGS ISSUES. Thank you for your cooperation! shocked

April 30, 2007 11:08 PM Forum: Star Parties

What is a NEAF blem?

Posted By Steve Sands

By the way - NEAF stands for Northeast Astronomy Forum. This event occurs every year in Suffern, NY in April (It was just held this past Saturday and Sunday). It is basically an astronomical equipment trade show with dozens of vendors. Al Nagler lives in/near Suffern and basically got this event rolling. He started selling his seconds at this show, thus "NEAF" eyepieces. Al has them marked so they can be distinguished from the prime sales stock. The NEAF equipment I have seen/ used has very minor to non-distinguisable flaws.

May 2, 2007 12:36 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

awesome new magazine

Posted By Steve Sands

I received my copy today and bought a 1 year subscription for the inflated price of $12!! I read it from cover to cover and think it is an awesome publication. Hope they can thrive. Magazine startups are brutal! It fills a gap that the big boys don't.

June 23, 2007 04:11 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Ad title format

Posted By Steve Sands

Hi Guido,

The title colors indicate the level of support the person posting the ad pays for:

Support Levels

Lifetime Supporter: This level will give all of your ads a bold black color for the lifetime of your account. The cost is five hundred dollars.
You also get a FREE Astromart T-Shirt while supplies last
Be sure to specify your size in the Notes section when paying for your support

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brown: This level will give all of your ads a brown color for one year. The cost is one hundred dollars.
You also get a FREE Astromart T-Shirt while supplies last

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red: This level will give all of your ads a red color for six months. The cost is sixty dollars.
New supporters also get a FREE Astromart T-Shirt while supplies last

Green: This level will give all of your ads a green color for three months. The cost is thirty dollars.

Purple: This level will give all of your ads a purple color for one month. The cost is fifteen dollars.

July 6, 2007 05:59 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Planetary Eyepieces

Posted By Steve Sands

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the response. The problem I have with Plossls is the eye relief on EPs below the 9mm mark due to eyeglass use. I agree that the simpler designs should be the best for planetary work and I do have a set of the TV Plossls, but haven't found visual planetary nirvana yet!

July 7, 2007 01:52 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Sling or Cable?

Posted By Steve Sands

I use a nylon sling about 1.5" wide - kinda looks like something a seatbelt would be made out of. I have not really noticed any problems from it. It is on a 20" f/4.0 1-7/8" thick mirror. The sling has served well since 1991 when the scope was built. If I were to observe much below the 15-20 degree angle, I would probably notice some distortion, though.

August 13, 2007 10:55 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Acceptable number of ads

Posted By Steve Sands

Hi Patrick,

There isn't any problem with listing your other 4 items at the same time. The only thing I have ever heard mentioned is a limitation on how often you list the SAME ITEM if it has not sold (i.e. someone posting a new ad every hour for the same item until it is sold or they give up). Four is a reasonable number and I have certainly seen other folks post way more than that at once!

Steve

August 28, 2007 10:27 PM Forum: Star Parties

Astrofest?

Posted By Steve Sands

Very wise decision!

January 1, 2008 10:48 PM Forum: Reflectors

Encoder suggestions

Posted By Steve Sands

Hi Daniel,

I had a similar issue with an ATM 10". This is the solution we came up with for mounting the altitude encoder. The pivot center ended up being up quite a ways! Is this what you are talking about?

(Apologies for the pixelated photo - I reduced it considerably for posting purposes!)

January 8, 2008 02:32 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

Power Suggestions

Posted By Steve Sands

Here is what I came up with after being too cheap to buck up $500 for a Kendrick outfit. I used a marine battery box and a deep cycle marine battery. Each outlet is fused, as well as the main positive feed. I keep a trickle charger (i.e. battery maintainer) on it at all times when it is not in use. So far 3 years and counting. I built another with a little different layout, but the principle is the same.