New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Brown

May 12, 2020 01:43 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Russ Carroll
For anyone following the Dan Zowada Memorial Observatory, I'm very proud to say that the first published article in The Astrophysical Journal using measurements from it was put online in prerelease form today:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2005.03685.pdf?fbclid=IwAR3BJSqar0UN45L6DEhNIfDxbMGsnjwqPQqjSdbAXr302UeGtnGt77DQ-_4

I return you to your debate already in progress.

Russ
Very cool.  Congratulations!

Jim  

May 12, 2020 01:46 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman
What interests me in Georgia and in Florida is the relative lack of restrictions and/or the lack of compliance of them and the relative lack of huge spikes. At first, I couldn't why but now, from further reading on it, the rationale has been advanced: the virus does ok with hot climates and in low humidity conditions but it's inhibited by high temperature high humidity conditions which are typically found in these states. So it makes sense thus far from what we're seeing at this point. OTH, if people start clustering without PPE in air conditioned environments, that could change dramatically...
Serious question, is there a consensus building that the conronavirus lays low in the summer, or in hot humid environments?  As recently as a week or two ago that was a much debated point. 

Jim

May 12, 2020 09:56 PM Forum: Politics

Taxpayers Fund Wuhan?

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

And by the way, you weren't putting out bait, you were just being stupid, trying to pander to the left here as usual, and I noticed it.  
Glad you are still following along at home Rich.  You're going to have to up your game though.

Jim

May 13, 2020 02:12 AM Forum: Politics

Taxpayers Fund Wuhan?

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

Be careful what you wish for, Jim. We're likely to start seeing a return of those 2000 plus word rants, taking up considerable bandwidth, thus upping the renewal rates for everyone...
Good point.  But, if I acknowledge your point in a civil tone, am I pandering to the left?

May 13, 2020 02:14 AM Forum: Politics

Taxpayers Fund Wuhan?

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Brown

Good point.  But, if I acknowledge your point in a civil tone, am I pandering to the left?
Speaking of Rich - doesn't this immortal Calvin and Hobbes strip, copyright June 17, 1990 by the legendary Bill Watterson, capture Rich perfectly!

May 14, 2020 12:19 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Lacey

-
Hi Jim,

NextStrain has been compiling all of the data from the genome sequencing of the Coronavirus around the globe. It's quite interesting since you can visually see how the virus is spreading. Go to the North America dataset, move the map, so the US is in the center, then hit play and pause. The first infections show up in the US in early January from China; at the same time, Western Europe is getting infected from China, then in late January, the US starts getting infections from Western Europe too. So, we were getting it on two coasts. In early February, the US starts spreading it back to Western Europe, and later in February, the US is also spreading it back to the East. By early March, it's a merry-go-round where everyone is spreading it back-and-forth. So much for travel bans having worked. The problem is they weren't outright bans. Lots of people traveled to and from China and Europe after those bans went into place. Many were citizens or had exemptions, or they just arrived here from a different stop-over. In any case, travel bans seem to have had little effect in stopping the spread. I'm assuming that if there had been effective screening in place, that could have made a difference, but we will never know for sure.
If I'm reading the data correctly, the vast majority of our infection came from Europe, and the US spread it as much as we received it.

Purple streaks show where the virus was transmitted from China, green and yellow-green streaks show transmission from Europe, and red streaks show transmission from the United States.
Whoa.  That is a cool web page, even though displaying chilling data.  Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Jim 

May 15, 2020 04:32 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Mike Bowen:

"Like Rick Bright said, it's the scientists we need to be listening to, and we are not. That has got to change or more lives are going to be lost."
Hi James:

It is easy for an epidemiologist to observe, as we cautiously relax the stay at home orders, that extra lives will be lost.  I agree, slowly reopening society means extra lives will be lost.  This is undeniable. 

But, is saving those extra lives worth the measures necessary to save them?  I think it is safe to say that the best way to literally minimize the overall number of deaths is to remain locked down indefinitely, at least until we have a 100% effective therapy or vaccine.  Does anyone think indefinite total lock down is a tenable plan?  Of course not.

So, I disagree that "it is the scientists we need to be listening to," if that statement means "scientists only" and I think it did.  I would say that we need to listen to the scientists, economists, philosophers and Joe six-pack too.   The brutal calculus is that anything we do short of a total and indefinite national lock down is going to kill some folks, maybe lots of them.  We need to weigh the cost of those lives against the cost of minimizing deaths, and that is not a question of pure science.

It certainly is a question that must be informed by science.  I don't think that my governor, yours, Kemp or even Trump is ignoring the scientists.  I do think these decisions are bigger than considering only the scientific means to minimize loss of life at all cost.

Jim

May 15, 2020 04:46 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Darian,

There have been over 86,000 deaths and close to 1.5Mn infections in four months, and that is with extreme non-pharmaceutical interventions nationwide. No one can reasonably deny that without the stay-at-home orders, school closings, and other social-mitigation efforts that those numbers would be significantly higher. The death-rater from COVID-19 is higher than the only two other biggest killers of Americans cancer and heart disease.

Even if you do choose to ignore or dispute the deaths, it's impossible to ignore the economic damage caused by this world-wide pandemic. It's not a hoax. It's not a liberal-media invention designed to harm Trump. It is doing real harm, and it's frankly a little unbelievable that you seem to think there is no disaster unfolding in front of you.
Hi James:

I thought you initially meant that the Federal response was a disaster.  No disputing that the pandemic and economic collapse are disasters.  But I see these as predominately unavoidable disasters.  

I'll not deny that Trump says many stupid things.  But do you think that the Federal Response would have been measurably better with a more inspiring leader in the White House?  I'm not so sure of that.  Especially if we define "measurably better" in terms of the number of deaths and economic impact of the disease.  I look at the data every day and remain impressed with the overall effectiveness of our response.  I might even concede that the flattened curves and surplus hospital beds were achieved "in spite of" Trump, but I do not think that Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush etc. would have done any better under these circumstances.  

Jim

May 15, 2020 05:11 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Here are some updated total daily infection charts - Not really enough time to draw conclusions, but note how the Texas daily infections appear to be on the uptick still.  More about that in the next two posts.  Much conjecture to follow!

Jim

May 15, 2020 05:13 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Brown
Here are some updated total daily infection charts - Not really enough time to draw conclusions, but note how the Texas daily infections appear to be on the uptick still.  More about that in the next two posts.  Much conjecture to follow!

Jim
So, is Texas is causing a second wave by opening too soon?  Expect much press along those line over the next few days.  No doubt the Atlantic will accuse Gov. Abbott of "human sacrifice" in a banner headline.  I'm not so sure.  Consider how little Covid 19 Texas has had so far: