May 16, 2020 08:15 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Oops.  Double post.

May 17, 2020 10:17 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

Studies have been done and the indications are that fully 40% of the 36 MILLION jobs lost will never come back.  

But that's ok because "Its worth it"!  
Hi Rich: Please post these studies. I find this to be improbable. Basic supply and demand economics teaches that when the demand comes back, relatively soon I think, those jobs will be available again.   Jim

May 18, 2020 09:43 PM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

The March-April stay at home orders have been relaxed in a reasonable and calculated fashion in most states.  I should note for Rich, that the "reasonable and calculated" assessment is my opinion, but it is an opinion formed after a lot of reading.  So far, the trend lines remain quite good, in my opinion.  Good job US.

May 18, 2020 09:47 PM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Brown
The March-April stay at home orders have been relaxed in a reasonable and calculated fashion in most states.  I should note for Rich, that the "reasonable and calculated" assessment is my opinion, but it is an opinion formed after a lot of reading.  So far, the trend lines remain quite good, in my opinion.  Good job US.
Here are the daily infections from the sample states I've been following, CO, GA, and TX.  Texas is still on the upswing, but remains very low with only 1680 cases/M population, which is half of the CO or GA infection rate and 1/10 of NY.

Jim

May 18, 2020 09:50 PM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Brown
I must brag that I am proud to have started this thread.  Lots of good content.  Lots of enjoyable and well-informed points of view presented cogently.  Minimum amounts of vitriolic ranting.

Thanks, 

Jim
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall.  Proverbs 16:18

May 20, 2020 09:26 PM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

I've alerted the media to your amazing achievement here, as well as the Nobel committee.

I certainly can't promise anything but I for one am pulling for you!  smile

My thought is that your regular graph analysis, and chart posting might earn a prize.

Perhaps they too will honor you as you've honored yourself here by awarding you The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel

In 2014 it was awarded to Jean Tirole "for his analysis of market power and regulation."

https://www.nobelprize.org/prizes/economic-sciences/2014/summary/

No wonder your fanboy club is so wide and large on this forum.  

Let me be the first to congratulate you.  Excellent work!  (My hand of course isn't as large as yours but perhaps you could move it over on your back so that I can join you in giving you a pat!  wink  ) 

Are there any groups here on the forum that you'd care to acknowledge and to whom you would like to give a rounding "thank you guys for all of your support"?  Perhaps the fawning leftist committee here?  smile  
Thanks Rich, I genuinely appreciate your support.

Jim

May 20, 2020 10:35 PM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Maurice Clark
Annie Glenn, widow of astronaut John Glenn has died from complications of Covid-19.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/annie-glenn-wife-late-astronaut-u-s-sen-john-glenn-n1210371?fbclid=IwAR3GlwzWXPfPYm5cKk5foov8gI0Nc41Y2Vg0yAMvHN1o4UezmL6oSM5PKN0
Hi Maurice:

Thanks for posting.  Annie Glenn was quite an inspirational woman.

Jim

May 20, 2020 11:47 PM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

The daily infection rate for CO, GA and TX are posted below.  There is certainly no indication that the reasonable and planned reopening of the economies in these states has caused a second wave, but it is admittedly early.  Yes, Rich, this is good news.  Feel free to spin it into an admission by me that I favor indefinite economic lock-down, maybe for a decade,  maybe forever.  Whatever it takes to get Biden elected.

Here is a good article from a statistician I admire, Sean Trende: 

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/05/19/the_covid_spike_in_reopened_texas_cnn_gets_it_wrong_143239.html  

Trende takes CNN to task for interpreting the data as showing a spike in infections, precisely two weeks after Texas started reopening their economy.  It is a worthwhile read and explores the complicated relationship between increased testing and the number of positive test results.  I agree with Trende's analysis.  I have no doubt that CNN is absolutely itching for the opportunity to slam any red state that might experience anything resembling a second wave.

Based on the data though, it looks like Georgia is off the hook, since the numbers there look pretty darned good.  

Jim 

May 21, 2020 12:51 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer

It does look good for us..... yesterday I reviewed the current data.....out of 159 counties 30 have had no deaths and reported cases of less than 10, 70+ counties have had 5 or less deaths. Out of 159 counties 10 are driving the overall numbers, obviously the metro Atlanta area and a hot spot around Albany Ga in the SW of the state. No apparent spikes as a result of reopening most businesses and we are well past the 14 days which should have resulted in the spikes per predictions by some.....my understanding is most banks are reopening their lobbies this week as well..... one way aisle instructions in grocery stores are still in effect with no indication of plans for passing lanes though. I have my air horn at the ready smile
Funny!  The one way aisles are a good idea "in theory".  My grocery store has plenty of dead ends and head on collision zones though - not their fault, it's just that the aisles are not laid out for one way traffic!  Do you reckon Rich goes the wrong way on purpose, just to show the leftist bastard masterminds who cooked up this whole scheme that he is on to them?

Jim

May 21, 2020 01:35 AM Forum: Politics

Covid-19 data and graphs

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Darian Rachal

Jim, if I want to pick up Dr. Peppers and they're 10 feet away from me on the shelf, I'm not going to go to the next aisle arrowed for entrance, walk all the way down it to get to the entrance of the drink aisle, then walk all the way down drink aisle to get to the DP; particularly if there is no one in the aisle in the first place. What would you do?
Exactly what you do.  I have been shopping on Sunday mornings since the stay at home order, and it is pretty empty.  I more or less try to follow the arrows, but cheat all the time if the aisle is open.  

As a side point, we have been grocery shopping and eating at home a lot more, for obvious reasons.  My credit card is happy about that!

Jim

p.s.  If an aisle was already busy with a few people, I would not intentionally go against the traffic arrows.  This is an easy safety precaution, and even if one did have a "Richard-like" disregard for the infectiousness of this disease, why be rude?