Posts Made By: James Brown

June 14, 2023 10:16 PM Forum: Politics

Jonathan Turley On The Trump Indictment

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Greg Shaffer

You call it arguing? I suppose if it fits your purpose you can.....but I simply posted an opinion, you guys seem to be the ones arguing it lol
Call it banter then - it is what we do here.   

In reply to James, Rod, Greg, Brian, Russ, Rich, Dave, Jim etc.  I've been thinking about this Federal indictment.  It is complicated.   A lot of credible people like Barr say that Trump is in deep trouble.  Other credible people like the WSJ guest editorial this morning by Michael Bekesha think that Trump's actions are very defensible.  I do not have any idea of course.  Only the true partisans know with certainty.   Ha Ha.   As always, my biggest worry is that this situation is exploited and leveraged by Trump into reelection.   

Biden's potential scandal does not help.  If 17 audio recordings exist and if they reflect criminal activities, I certainly hope that he too is prosecuted.  If the FBI has in fact been running interference for Biden and his family, I hope it is exposed.   The Burisma story has been around forever, but some of these newer allegations are fresh and troubling.   Although the mainstream press is ignoring the possibility of high level corruption, I am hopeful that the truth will be found and Biden and his family are prosecuted if appropriate or exonerated if that is where the evidence leads.   

Right now, all I think we can do is wait and see what happens next.  That and argue, banter, and bait as is always appropriate!  

June 14, 2023 10:22 PM Forum: Politics

Nice To See, Trump Ignores Margie

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman

That's what's you got? A background behind the guy that you don't like? Are you just horsing around here?
Getting back to the story, do you think Trump just overlooked Marge in her flaming red dress?
Of course I'm horsing around!   I do think your bloggers (this guy and the other one, forgot his name) are crap sources of biased fodder regurgitated for die-hard lefties.   And for that, I am gently prodding you.   You yourself mock Richard for his sources.  I agree that WND etc. are crap sources, but hey, yours are no better.  The fact that you agree with them does not change a thing.  

Looked to me like Trump was led by his handlers to his right after he exited the plane, and Marjorie was to his left.   For all we know he circled around the crowd and ended with Marge.   No there there and certainly not news!   Jim 

June 14, 2023 10:33 PM Forum: Politics

Clarence/Alito Scramble For Financial Extensions

Posted By James Brown

Except they disclose it whereas Thomas did not. 
And I haven't seen them or others on the court advocate to bring cases before them like Thomas did.
Here's a stark contrast: Kagel refused bagels because of her desire to avoid any impropriety:
https://www.msnbc.com/deadline-white-house/deadline-legal-blog/kagan-bagels-clarence-thomas-rcna83707
RBG was the one who I said lived large, not Kagan.  Also, I am pretty sure that Thomas and the rest of the Justices have not been accused of misreporting gifts etc. under the rules that applied at the time.   If the rules change, the rules change, but there is no harm in following the rules as they exist, just because your enemies want to make it look like you are hiding something.    

June 14, 2023 10:43 PM Forum: Politics

Nice To See, Trump Ignores Margie

Posted By James Brown

It was reported on Yahoo news as well. Is that a bogus source, too?
So, your blogger with the Walter Cronkite backdrop is a plagiarist too?   Just kiddin Rod, don't take it personally.   I have no personal experience with the credibility of Yahoo news, but if this "event" was reported as news, I have one good data point.

June 15, 2023 03:46 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by James Lacey

It's also likely that all Trump does is ruin it for everyone else in the GOP field.

1. Many believe he can't win the general if Trump gets the nomination.
  2. If Trump doesn't get the nomination, he will suck so much oxygen away from anyone else they can't win.
This is so true.   Nikki Haley could shoot a man on main street and the press would not cover it.  We are in the midst of another "peak Trump" press monopoly.  Trump 24-7.   This can only help Biden and Trump may be the only candidate on earth Biden could beat.

June 15, 2023 03:49 AM Forum: Politics

The GOP Plan For Student Loan Debt

Posted By James Brown

So we need the GOP to makes laws to tell us that?...
No, we need the GOP to make laws so that Democrats like Biden can not buy votes with potentially unconstitutional student loan forgiveness plans.   

June 15, 2023 04:00 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Brian McFarland

That sounds reasonable to me.  I took out student loans to help get through college and I paid them back early.  College students are adults, and adults are responsible for themselves.
Me too.  Although I did not pay back early.  I just paid them back on time, for the first 10 years of my career.   

If I were king, I would do my best to make trade schools and many community college programs free.   We need more skilled labor in the various trades, computer science, hospitality and so on.   We do not need more graduates with all sorts of arts and humanities degrees.  Especially advanced degrees.   I think it is a reasonable exercise of governmental policy to have policies favoring schooling in fields with a huge need for workers vs. fields where no one can get a job.   

By the way, I like music, the arts, and literature a lot.   I do not think that only rich kids should have the opportunity to be musicians, writers, or have fulfilling careers in the arts.  (I must know 1/2 dozen young, hopelessly unemployed musical theater majors, through my kids)   The need for diverse representation in the arts can be addressed by talent-based scholarships in the arts and humanities for those who can demonstrate the talent required to make a career of it.   

June 15, 2023 04:03 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Shoot, I'm channeling Rich, in a small sort of way...

June 15, 2023 05:33 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Brian McFarland

Assuming "you guys" includes me, why would you think that because I support the notion of full-grown adults paying off their debt obligations, means I support any other GOP plan?

Maybe the Ds could take the student loan forgiveness one more step and give Jim and I the money back that we paid off our student loans with. I mean, why penalize those of us who took our student loan obligations seriously?
The statute of limitations has run for us old codgers, Brian, and I have no complaints about my loan.   Law school in Indiana in 1983 was quite affordable.   I worked too, my loans were smallish.  It was a fun time.

The kids who really get screwed today under the Biden plan are those that worked a job or two during school rather than taking the loans.   Meaning the most responsible of all students, without exception.   

June 15, 2023 05:38 AM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Jim Moscheck

Unless Fox News only wants to get their viewers back and influence the voters. Last night Fox News ran a chyron on the screen that called Biden "Wannabe Dictator".

Unbelievable.  I actually verified this with Google, since it is so preposterous, I thought it might be a hoax!  Not sure what Fox was thinking.