Posts Made By: James Brown

June 23, 2023 02:34 AM Forum: Politics

Living in my head

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman
Yeah, I started thinking the worst and thought about someone in the area calling the police and doing a welfare check on him. But he does have family, a brother and sister that we know of from his postings so I'd think they'd be checking if they hadn't heard from him.
I'm sure Rich is either on vacation, or just taking a break from posting for a while.  He'll be back sooner or later.   Jim

p.s.  I saw on the news that the storms over Colorado Springs last night dropped 1.75" diameter hail  blink

June 23, 2023 02:38 AM Forum: Politics

House censors Schiff

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Jim Moscheck
While Boebert and Green were bitch slapping each other Adam Schiff was censored by the house in a vote down partisan lines. Called to the well of the HOR Schiff said:

"You honor me with your enmity. You flatter me with this falsehood. You, who are the authors of a big lie about the last election, must condemn the truth tellers and I stand proudly before you," Schiff said on the House floor.

"I led the first impeachment of Donald Trump, for one of the most egregious presidential abuses of power in our history, and I led a trial which resulted in the first bipartisan vote to remove a president in history," he said.

"I would do so again. I warned that if Trump was not held accountable, he would go on to try to cheat in even worse ways in the next election, and he did, inciting a violent attack on this very Capitol," Schiff added, referencing the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Hate to say it but this is exactly what the fascists did in Germany. Silence the folks you don't want the public to hear from.

It is a sad state in America these days. 
Schiff is second only to Trump in the world class liar department.  He ran with the Russian Collusion lie entirely.  He is the most dishonest congressman in Washington DC. 

June 23, 2023 02:39 AM Forum: Politics

House censors Schiff

Posted By James Brown

While Boebert and Green were bitch slapping each other Adam Schiff was censored by the house in a vote down partisan lines. Called to the well of the HOR Schiff said:

"You honor me with your enmity. You flatter me with this falsehood. You, who are the authors of a big lie about the last election, must condemn the truth tellers and I stand proudly before you," Schiff said on the House floor.

"I led the first impeachment of Donald Trump, for one of the most egregious presidential abuses of power in our history, and I led a trial which resulted in the first bipartisan vote to remove a president in history," he said.

"I would do so again. I warned that if Trump was not held accountable, he would go on to try to cheat in even worse ways in the next election, and he did, inciting a violent attack on this very Capitol," Schiff added, referencing the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Hate to say it but this is exactly what the fascists did in Germany. Silence the folks you don't want the public to hear from.

It is a sad state in America these days. 
Since Richard is on vacation, I'll say it.  This is arguably what the DOJ is doing to Trump.  I doubt the DOJ will get a conviction.  Jim

June 23, 2023 05:01 AM Forum: Politics

House censors Schiff

Posted By James Brown

I couldn't believe a recent poll that found 62% thought the charges are "politically motivated". Have they not seen the pictures of boxes of documents in the shower, bathroom and ballroom? Have they not heard the tapes of Trump discussing classified material that he didn't declassify? And, of course, there's no way they even bothered to look at the actual indictment. 
That said, Schiff has been honest and objective in assisting/directing the investigations he partook in and this nonsense about him lying about this or that is just made up MAGA malarkey...
Schiff beat the drum of Trump's fictitious "Russian Collusion" for years.  He was the primary proponent of the second biggest lie of the millennium (so far).  He also knew Russian Collusion by Trump was BS when he was selling it to the American people on every media outlet available.   I don't think John Durham and Robert Mueller are MAGA fan-boys.  Do you?  

June 23, 2023 05:10 AM Forum: Politics

House censors Schiff

Posted By James Brown

Probably because of one stubborn juror or two who despite the mountains of damning evidence in the documents case will force a hung jury.
I have no illusions that trump will be convicted, but I surely don't want to see him as the GOP nominee either with a chance of regaining the presidency. What I would like is to have the old GOP, that one I complained about so much, back with real conservatives who want what's best for the country, not what's best for trump, their pocketbook, and the maga base.
No, I think if the government loses it is because Trump has legitimate defenses.  No predictions one way or the other from me yet, but I am pretty sure this is not as easy a prosecution as some argue it is.

Read this, for example:

https://thefederalist.com/2023/06/16/six-reasons-dojs-legal-case-against-trump-is-seriously-flawed/

p.s.  I know that the Federalist is an extremely right-biased media outlet.   So reading anything there will be dismissed out-of-hand by some.  But Will Scharf has a strong legal background, and I think these are the Legal points on which Trump has a chance.   I have not seen many deep dives into the legal issues from the other side.   Many writers on the left just assume Trump is guilty, no matter what the legal standards.   (Yes, many on the right assume the opposite with no evidence.  This article strikes me as a more reasoned approach.  Right biased for sure, but analytical.)   Jim

June 23, 2023 05:26 AM Forum: Politics

House censors Schiff

Posted By James Brown

So what specific charges did either Durham or Mueller recommend or bring against Schiff? And which specific statement and accusation that you can cite with a link that substantiates lying on Schiff's part? In other words, other than conducting a congressional probe, in essence, a congressional investigation that parallels portions of what Durham and Mueller covered in their own investigations, can you cite that specifically state Schiff's words that demonstrates he was lying about something in the congressional probe?  
Schiff lied to the American people every day for years when he said on a daily basis that he had compelling, irrefutable evidence of Russian collusion by Trump.  Google it.  There are hundreds of instances.  Durham and Mueller demonstrated that there never was any evidence because there never was any collusion by Trump with Russia.   Schiff knew this all along.

June 23, 2023 06:27 AM Forum: Politics

House censors Schiff

Posted By James Brown

Like this?
https://schiff.house.gov/view/rep-schiff-on-cnn-evidence-of-collusion-is-clear-mueller-will-find-out-if-theres-been-a-crime
You know darn well that Schiff sold a much deeper and much more false collusion conspiracy theory involving Trump himself.  The Manafort nit is revisionist history.  The Mueller investigation was not launched and sustained by anything Manafort did.

June 23, 2023 08:07 PM Forum: Politics

House censors Schiff

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Maurice Clark
Hi Jim, 

My concern regarding this lawsuit against Trump is that if somehow it fails for whatever reason, Trump will scream vindication and it will cement his control over the republican party and their nomination. 

Biden against Trump again  is not much of a choice for your president. 

Maurice 
Hi Maurice:

I agree 100% with both of your points.   I have huge faith in the US system of governance, as I posted many times.  Our politics is broken though, if these are the candidates we end up with.   Jim

June 23, 2023 08:09 PM Forum: Politics

House censors Schiff

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Maurice Clark

Hi Rod,

No particular beef with Biden apart from his age. He has done an ok job so far, but nothing great.

Is it really the case that your country can only find people pushing to be president? Where are all the younger,  more dynamic leaders?

Maurice 
Two more points I agree with.  I do have other beefs with Biden, but his age is a problem.   Jim

June 23, 2023 09:12 PM Forum: Politics

The political price of many tiers of justice

Posted By James Brown

I mentioned in Jim M's thread that Hunter Biden got a sweetheart deal.  Kim Strassel of the WSJ details key elements of the sworn testimony of two IRS whistleblowers who recount the extraordinary measures taken at the Department of Justice to thwart the investigation into Hunter's crimes, assuring that he would get a wrist slap at best.  Strassel is no MAGA lunatic, and this opinion piece is primarily a straight forward account of the whistleblower's testimony:  https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-hunter-biden-whistle-blows-arrest-doj-irs-firearm-felony-jail-9d114e5f?mod=opinion_lead_pos8

It seems to me that there are several possible responses to the IRS whistleblower's testimony:

1.  Some might say, "The IRS agents are lying, or it does not matter even if they are telling the truth - Hunter was fully and properly investigated and prosecuted."  Is anyone on this forum willing to go there?  I personally think that anyone who argues that Hunter did not get special treatment (a "sweetheart deal" ) wears partisan blinders, but I am really curious if anyone on this forum is willing to defend this sort of position, or some variation of it.   

2. Others might say,  "Of course Hunter got special treatment, Jim, were you born yesterday?  Would you expect the DOJ to treat the president's son like a common street criminal?  Rich and powerful people have been getting special treatment since the beginning of time."  I understand this point.  I suppose most Americans do, and I suspect that most Americans, even Biden supporters, believe this about Hunter even though they are not willing to say it out loud.

Hunter Biden's sweetheart deal occurred in 2023 though, and that matters for two huge reasons:  First, a former president is being prosecuted for crimes I personally have no doubt he committed, and he is making matters so much worse because he thumbs his nose at the system and genuinely thinks he is above the law.  Arguably, if Trump were rational, he would have cooperated just a little bit and I bet the charges would have gone away.   But maybe Trump is rational, and he is leveraging his status as the ultimate outsider as his best shot at the White House?  

Either way, Trump's prosecution is loudly accompanied by a chorus of: "No One Is Above The Law" trumpeted by just about every left leaning editorialist, politician, prosecutor, or political personality in the United States.   The hypocrisy of the "No One Is Above The Law" messaging at this point in time, where is is obvious to everyone that the president's son is in fact above the law, is simply staggering.  So, the glaring obviousness of Hunter's sweetheart deal at the precise time Trump is being prosecuted by the same DOJ plays into Trump's hands immensely.   He could not have scripted it better.  I think that the hypocrisy displayed by the press and by the DOJ will cause an enormous swath of voting public, the people who know they would never get a sweetheart deal if they broke the law, to elect Donald Trump again. 

Second:  I have posted here many times that I doubt Joe Biden took $5M in bribes.  But here we have the DOJ caught red-handed giving preferential treatment to Hunter Biden on much lesser crimes.  This gives life to the allegations that Biden is involved in pay-to-play scandals.  Why would the DOJ play it straight with the "big guy" when they manipulated the system to let his son off with a wrist slap?  At the very least, this particular exposure of perhaps routine DOJ favoritism gives the allegations about Joe Biden long legs.

So, will Joe Biden pay a political price for his son's sweetheart deal, even if the deal was just Washington favoritism as usual, without Joe actively pulling strings?  Will Joe Biden personally pay a political price for his son's sweetheart deal, even though Trump would do the same and Trump has made his own bed?  I think he will pay a political price.  The kid-glove treatment of Hunter Biden has galvanized Trump's base who already think Trump is the subject of a witch hunt.  More importantly, this BS by the DOJ gives many Republicans, especially those in political positions, much needed cover to support Trump even though they hate him.   I think it propels Trump to the White House.

Last, should this sweetheart deal and the IRS whistleblower's sworn testimony result in significant overhaul at the department of Justice?  I think it should.  Faith in out institutions of justice is at an all time low.  I agree with Kim Strassel's conclusion:  "But even this glimpse {into the whistleblower's testimony} turns this week’s Hunter plea into a joke. The Justice Department needs to provide answers."  DeSantis is in the lead on this issue, but all of the R candidates will line up behind it. 

Jim