New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: James Brown

October 23, 2023 07:26 PM Forum: Politics

A great day in Santa Fe

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Rod Kaufman
Very nice image again, Jim, but I would have preferred one with trout jumping out of the water and butterflies in the air and hot air balloons above. Add a couple of gals skinny dipping and wearing nothing but solar shades and it would have been perfect. Looks like you'll just have to go back and do it all again...
cool

October 20, 2023 05:35 PM Forum: Politics

CNN: Trump attorney Sidney Powell pleads guilty in Georgia election subversion case

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Jim Moscheck

LOL. The fact they are all misdemeanors and she doesn't lose her livelihood means she'll have to testify or the plea deal would be null and void. Interesting.

If I was Jack Smith I'd be talking to her, too. If I was her, well, the first to squeal get the best deal.
Smith will get his convictions.   In my opinion, the convictions will be overturned.   This has happened to Smith before.   Quite possibly he was selected for this case because he goes where most prosecutors will not go.  

The judge is not helping. The analysis here should be troubling to all who value fair judicial process no matter how much one hates Trump:  https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/4262942-the-trump-gag-order-should-be-struck-down/

October 20, 2023 07:26 PM Forum: Politics

CNN: Trump attorney Sidney Powell pleads guilty in Georgia election subversion case

Posted By James Brown

I wouldn't put much stock into Turley has to say; most of his opinions turn out to be wrong.
That said, another one pleads guilty as the dominos continue to fall:
https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/20/politics/kenneth-chesebro-georgia-election-subversion/index.html
Could be.  Still, if any convictions are overturned on appeal, you heard it hear first!  (Did you notice that Turley thinks the Mar-a-Lago documents case is a lot stronger? - I agree there too.)

Let me ask you to engage in a little thought experiment:

What do you think the odds might be of Trump being convicted by a Wyoming jury considering Jack Smith's charges?
What do you think the odds might be of Trump being convicted by the Washington DC jury hearing Jack Smith's charges?

This thought experiment underscores the peculiar and political nature of this case, IMO.  Jim

October 20, 2023 11:05 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

I guess too bad for Trump it didn't happen in Wyoming.

Do you think a jury in Wyoming would be fair to the prosecution and not favor Trump?.
Of course not.   Nor do I think a jury in DC will seriously consider Trump's arguments.   This is not a robbery or murder case, where I trust juries in Wyoming or DC a lot.   This case has intense political overtones, it is unavoidable.  50% of the population that is polled nationally think Smith's case is more or less politically motivated.  I would imagine that number is far lower in DC.   

I'm walking a tightrope here.   I trust juries a lot.   This case is unique however, hence my hypothetical about Wyoming v. DC.  And as Turley points out, things like the gag order and the judge's earlier comments make it look a lot like the appeals courts are going to have to become heavily involved.

October 20, 2023 11:22 PM Forum: Politics

Uh oh, now Kenneth Chesebro takes last-minute plea deal, agrees to testify in Georgia election case

Posted By James Brown

https://abcnews.go.com/US/kenneth-chesebro-takes-minute-plea-deal-georgia-election/story?id=104169908

II think Willis has a pretty darn good case. Heck, all Trump wanted to do was to "find 11,780 votes, which is one more than we need"   Too bad Raffensperger recorded that call.
If this quote is the best they have in Georgia, Trump walks. 

"Find me" can be a totally legitimate phrase.   Like when a sales manager says "find me $1M more in revenue by the end of the quarter."  In context everyone knows that the sales manager means "bust your ass to close deals" not, "enter a bunch of fake purchase orders."  Maybe the context will prove that Trump was directly asking for votes to be fabricated.  But if votes were still trickling in from various districts, and Trump can argue that he meant, "leave no stone unturned in your search for legitimate votes," then his choice of words becomes innocuous.   

Of course context is everything, and you've studied the evidence so far more than I have.   I'm just saying that this particular phrase (which gets a lot of press) does not seem so hard to explain away for Trump's lawyers.   It is not like Trump said, "Go print me 11,780 votes."  Also, the State's burden of proof is substantial.

I'm not actually defending Trump here or in the other thread by the way.   I am trying to be objective.  I do fear that in all of the cases except Mar-a-Lago the state has grossly overplayed it's hand, and I am going to be way pissed if it leads to Trumps election.

October 23, 2023 03:27 PM Forum: Politics

Uh oh, now Kenneth Chesebro takes last-minute plea deal, agrees to testify in Georgia election case

Posted By James Brown

That phrase aside, do you really think Trump did not approve of the fake electors plan and the testimony of Powell and Chesbro will not directly implicate him?
Hi Rod:  Personally, I think that Trump would be more than willing to approve a fake elector plan, or otherwise implement steps toward criminal election manipulation.  I do not think he is unique in this regard. (You know what I think about Russian collusion.)   

That said, I have not studied the actual evidence being developed in Georgia (if this evidence is even publicly available?)  So, I really don't have an opinion as to whether or not Trump actually approved a fake electors plan or approved actual concrete steps toward implementing a fake electors plan.  I figure that evidence will come out in detail as the case moves forward.   Jim

October 23, 2023 03:44 PM Forum: Politics

Bill Maher comes out and tells it like it is regarding Colleges and Universities around the country, and he calls out their students for what is true, that College makes most students dumber

Posted By James Brown

Originally Posted by Richard Davis

It is beyond simple.  Do I have to explain it to you?  You really don't see the connection?  I'll ask again, seriously?

I'll assume I do then have to explain what my question of James has to do with the subject of the thread that I started. 

Here goes.  I brought up College Students and pointed out how they are so deranged with no moral compass, to the extent that Bill Maher had to call them out for their disgusting support of Hamas.

James then came on and was defending college students and feebly attempting to call me out about my disdain and overall criticism of college students and their indoctrination into Leftist/Marxist ideology, which they perpetuate and the anti-semitism they've obviously been taught and continue to perpetuate.  

So then since James was attempting to defend the college students, I had to assume that he may be as anti-semitic as they have been taught, and so I thought I'd ask what he thought of Hamas, i.e. does he sympathize with Hamas and blame Israel for the vile, despicable attack on the Jews in Israel.?

I noticed that he didn't answer me, so I'm going to assume that since he's defending the very same college students that I find to be detestible, I'll just assume as well that James is siding somewhat with Hamas and since he hasn't commented on it at all in the 2 weeks since the vile murders occurred, 

He's free to clear it all up though, by simply making commentary on whom he thinks is in the moral right and who is in the moral wrong, or he can simply answer my very simple question, which is "what do you think of Hamas James"?. 

And so, my response and my question of James has virtually everything to do with the topic of this thread.

Now that just begs the questions here so I'll ask.  

You could not see the connection?  I really had to explain it to you?  You couldn't figure that out on your own?

I hope my very specific response here clears up the confusion you seem to have had?
Rich, you entirely missed James' point and you are falling for a media generated meme.   James' point is indisputable.   An engineering, science, law, medicine, business, finance, computer science, accounting, or many other college degrees are extremely valuable, and the corresponding professions are simply not available without college.   Similarly, mechanics, construction, agriculture, and many other great and lucrative fields are not readily available without post-high school education.

I have sons in engineering and medicine, and we talk a lot.   To my knowledge there was no unreasonable social indoctrination, antisemitic or otherwise, included in their college educations.  (I say no "unreasonable", because even the Colorado School of Mines has appropriate sessions at the beginning of the term in proper respect for women and minorities, and those sessions were not part of college when I was in school, which is a shame, since campus rape and bigotry were more common then in my opinion).

So your indictment of "college education"; and any suggestion that a smart kid not go to college is really misplaced.  

That said, there are crummy majors at many schools, and activist professors at many universities who espouse abhorrent rhetoric.  These same professors often seem to be more than willing to stifle dissenting points of view.   I favor the market pruning these majors and professors, since I am not willing to quash political speech.   Even so, your belief that college is all about social activism and Marxism nowadays is entirely over-stated.  Jim

October 25, 2023 02:57 PM Forum: Politics

David Mamet urges people to quit sending their kids to the Anti-semitic colleges and he urges people to quit supporting the Democrat party

Posted By James Brown

I remember someone just telling me that I must be off my nut to think that colleges and Universities are indoctrinating young minds, and twisting them.  

No one on this forum said that.   So I guess  in "Rich World" you are lying?

October 27, 2023 03:57 PM Forum: Politics

David Mamet urges people to quit sending their kids to the Anti-semitic colleges and he urges people to quit supporting the Democrat party

Posted By James Brown

"Israel, Israel you can't hide, we want Jewish Genocide.  Israel, Isreal you can't hide, we want Jewish Genocide"

That is what a huge crowd of leftist Democrat Students chanted over and over at UCLA yesterday.
Rich, are you this gullible and stupid, or are you this much of a liar?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emkSpLnPYgE

Look, everyone on this forum abhors Hamas' horrific criminal murderous acts as much or probably more than you do.  Rod has relatives in Israel!  Let's get our unanimous support for Israel on the table up front.  Next, no one on this forum agrees with the campus left wingers who spout antisemitic rhetoric.   

Even so, I value the Constitution and I want protection for free speech.   Your probably intentional misquote of the students reflects your totalitarian impulses.  It sure looks like you are manipulating protected political speech into an unprotected call for violence.  At best you are a fool who is blindly repeating the totalitarian who is grossly misquoting these UCLA students.  That too is appalling.

A true constitutionalist might hate the students' message, as I do, but fight endlessly to protect their right to express themselves.   You are no Constitutionalist.

October 27, 2023 05:42 PM Forum: Politics

Posted By James Brown

I'm simply taking a page out of the leftist "Journalist" playbook...
BS, this is the lamest excuse of all time.   See my post in your new thread (CNN...) where you basically said the same thing, and then later doubled down here.