My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Lawrence McGrath

July 17, 2003 01:16 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Meade LX200gps 14" vs. Celestrons CGE1400

Posted By Lawrence McGrath

Which would you buy and why? What are the plus and minus's of each?

Is the equatorial mount on the CGE 1400 worth 2,000 more?

July 28, 2003 06:38 PM Forum: Home Observatories

New 1400 - How to protect vs elements

I bought a new CGE 1400 and would like to find a permanent place for it. I have a flat roof with black liner and it gets very hot. I am afraid of damaging the telescope if I don't properly protect it. I was thinking of building a casing with it using PVC pipes and a tarp but am afraid it would not be enough. Will a galactic dome solve the problem if indeed the heat does effect the mirrors?

September 23, 2003 08:51 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Andromeda looks like a cotton ball?

This past saturday I drove up to Vermont and set up a CGE14 to look at Mars, Mizar and Andromeda. During the day it was hot and muggy and at night it turned cold. Mizar looked like a snow man with little definition, streaks of light emmitting from the stars sorrounded by what looked like a puddle of water or oil and then again sorrounded by a halo of light around both stars. Atmospheric conditions must have been bad even though the sky looked clear. I then went to Andromeda and could barely make it out. It looked like a cotton ball. Will I ever see the spiral arms and stars within? Or is that only possible with CCD equipment and longer exposures.

Thanks

November 6, 2003 04:27 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Is Hermes out of View?

Sky and Telescope has observable times for Hermes at latest 00 UT Nov. 6th. Can I still try and find it over the weekend assuming clear skies and how would I find new coordinates?

Thanks

Lawrence

November 11, 2003 02:48 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Problems with equatorial Mount Drive!

Last night after balancing the 14inch SC I tried operating the ra drive to no avail. It would bring the telescope from one end (west or east) to center but would then not respond once in switch position. It is a new scope and drive, but this is the first time in 5 uses that I couldn't get the RA drive to work?

Any ideas besides calling Celestron?

Lawrence

November 19, 2003 06:15 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Celestron 15x 70

Celestron is selling this Bino for $89 with tripod adaptor. Anyone have one of these? Orion is selling a similar Bino for over $250. Seems like they both have bak-4 prisms and are multi-coated. Am I missing something?

November 19, 2003 06:17 AM Forum: Astro Binoculars

FOV of Orion's Belt

Anyone know what the field of view is if you can see all three stars of Orion's belt through Binoculars? ( 9x 63)

November 24, 2003 03:11 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

Oberwerk 20x80 lt or 15x 70

Thanks to the group I am excited about a Oberwerk Bino. My objective is to teach myself to recognize smaller and smaller fields of view in order to better utilize my f/11 SC. Of course, taking a peak at Andromeda etc is a bonus. My concern is that I live in Stamford, CT and because of the light pollution in the area I am afraid that with the 20x80 LT I might lose contrast and should buy the 15x70 although I think I want the power. I currently have an Orion 9x63 with a 5 degree field of view. Any thoughts? Thanks

December 22, 2003 02:05 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Ceres

Can anyone direct me to a source where I can get the exact coordinates of Ceres' location. I have been tracking it since the 17th and would like to confirm my sightings.

Thanks

Lawrence

December 22, 2003 04:06 PM Forum: Deep Sky Observing

Ceres

Can anyone direct me to a source where I can get the exact coordinates of Ceres' location. I have been tracking it since the 17th and would like to confirm my sightings.

Looking for hour, minutes and degrees.

Thank you

Lawrence