Posts Made By: Adam Albino

April 21, 2005 02:21 PM Forum: Refractors

Refractor for my SCT

Posted By Adam Albino

What do you plan to dop with it? Guide, view, RFT, Planets/High power?

April 29, 2005 05:56 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

80mm APO vs C8

Posted By Adam Albino

I've owned both - and in fact ran an 80mm APO and a C-8 side by side (Losmandy DSBS plate). Overall it's not even close. No matter how much magic the word APO conjures up, aperture rules. The only time the field can get even is under real poor seeing conditions where the 8" may be overly affected - even then I could just stop down the aperture.... Image scale alone makes the 8" sct a better scope - at least for me. Now if one were talking wide fields/photo and portability - that might change my mind.

May 4, 2005 10:02 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Just a quick poll.

Posted By Adam Albino

60mm "Monolux" Brand Ref (Japan) late 60's.
First quality scope - Edmund 6" F/6 in mid 70's.

May 16, 2005 04:39 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

G11 - CGE comparisons

Posted By Adam Albino

I've owned both the G-11 and the CGE predecessor the CI-700. The fit and finish on the G-11 is nicer, but out of the box the CI-700 was a better tracking mount (about even if you upgrades the worm gears on the G-11), and came with a few standard items that are extra's on the g-11 (polar scope for one). Overall both mounts capacity was about the same and really people nit-pick on both sides pointing out the strengths and weaknesses. Neither IMO are clear winners over the other. Because the CI-700 with advanced astromaster can be had for less then a GM-8 - let alone a G-11, I sold the G-11 and kept the CI-700.

As for the CGE - it is a fully integrated "GOTO" mount, and the g-11 is not (need to add the Gemini system). Both have specs that are similar weight capacity and design. I have heard the CGE out of the box tracks better, but the fit and finish still go to Losmandy.

May 20, 2005 12:53 PM Forum: Celestron

Celestron Advanced C9 1/4-SGT Schmidt-Cassegrain

Posted By Adam Albino

As huge said OTA is very good optically. Best in a current production SCT IMO. With that said the mount is way overloaded. You'll barely get away with it optically - but start adding heavy accessories, or even think about astro photo stuff and you'll need to upgrade the mount.

May 20, 2005 02:32 PM Forum: Eyepieces

Little Help. Anyone know where to find adapters?

Posted By Adam Albino

In the sponsors section....http://www.preciseparts.com/ppmain/index.html

May 24, 2005 02:09 PM Forum: Celestron

Anybody use the Fastar feature ??

Posted By Adam Albino

I've used it with ST-5c (Pixel 255), St-237A, and a Starlight Mx-5c. Works very well.

May 24, 2005 04:59 PM Forum: Beginning Astronomy?

Beginner Astrophotography Telescope

Posted By Adam Albino

As the others have said it can be very expensive, yet on the other hand looking at the used market there are bargains one can find that would meet your budget.

For wide field usually smaller faster scopes excel - those 80mm-4" APO's are just perfect for star clouds, large nebula, etc.
For a set up like that, Id find an old Vixen 80mm Fluorite and a Super Polaris mount, or maybe a WO Megrez or TV Pronto - both well corrected Achro's. Of course one can get a newer C-8 tube with Fastar capabilities and the SP mount. And I did have some success with fast newts (Celestron Comet Catcher) on the SP mount in the 80's and these can be had for short $$.

Overall I would definitely focus on the SCT's. They do nothing best, but do everything well. One of the best (THE best IMO...) fork mounted Astro setups was the old Celestron ULTIMA 8 PEC. Out of the box it was nearly perfect for astrophotography. Add a dec motor, focuser, and a OAG, and you’re done - these can be found for 800-1000 today and are a real Bargain IMO.

June 7, 2005 01:53 PM Forum: Celestron

nexremote

Posted By Adam Albino

http://www.celestron.com/nexremote/index.htm

July 12, 2005 05:30 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

A simple request!

Posted By Adam Albino

might want to post in the Celestron forum.... What is it your trying to compare? Both are VERY different Mounts in that the CGE is much larger, much more acurate, etc.....The only thing in common is that they are both GEM's and have GOTO.