New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Thomas Holst

March 29, 2010 06:37 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

12V Power out in the field

Posted By Thomas Holst

Paul,

Very nice setup, well executed. I like the power-on indicator switches. You should include a writeup and photos in the "How-To" section on the "Reviews" tab. I too would like to see some type of small digital voltmeter or state of charge indicator integrated into the system.

March 29, 2010 06:51 PM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

Unable to open PM

Posted By Thomas Holst

FWIW, I've received several PM's over the past couple days and have had no problem opening them. Maybe I just chose the right time to read them.

April 1, 2010 03:59 AM Forum: Equipment Talk

adequate for a new coating?

Posted By Thomas Holst

Did you send that photo to OMI?

April 1, 2010 05:31 AM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

I got a supercharged engine sittin under my hood

Posted By Thomas Holst

Let me get this straight. You bought a new car but you won't even buy your wife some shoe laces? What's up with that?

April 1, 2010 05:40 AM Forum: Religion

Belgium Banning Burqas

Posted By Thomas Holst

Rod Kaufman said:
"Wearing the Burqa in public is not compatible with an open, liberal, tolerant society."
http://www.jpost.com/International/Article.aspx?id=172150

Heck, that lady in the accompanying picture wouldn't even be allowed to enter my neighborhood bank.

April 1, 2010 09:35 AM Forum: After Dark

Just can't fall asleep...

Posted By Thomas Holst

Jin,

It is cloudy here as well and I can't sleep either.

It's not which college your son attends that make the difference, it's what he puts into and gets out of the college he attends and what he does with what he learned in the process that counts. Dr. Carl Sagan didn't attend MIT, Caltech or any Ivy League school. After earning his Ph.D. from the University of Chicago, he was one of the first Miller Institute research fellows at Cal Berkley, lectured and researched at Harvard and spent time as a full Professor at Cornell, then he got busy in the real world. The rest is history.

I've sweated through my daughter's education ever since she started kindergarten, doing everything I could to encourage her and help her get the most out of every learning opportunity. It worked. She's now a junior at the University of Idaho, College of Natural Resources, working on a degree in Ecology Science and doing very well, making the Dean's List every semester. She turned down a substantial scholarship at a university in New York and we traveled all over the Northwest, letting her get to know the schools. She decided to stay in-state (but away from home), take advantage of several scholarships and has loved every minute of it. She could have gone in one of several different directions but she seems to have found the right one for her at this school.

I have the feeling that your son would not be disappointed with Cal Berkley. My Dad wasn't. I wish I could have attended that school as well but I was destined for San Jose State. We all have our dreams but things seem to work out just as well when we decide to make the most of the opportunities presented to us. Your son has one ace in the hole; your support. Keep it up.

April 12, 2010 09:52 PM Forum: Landscape Photography

Bryce Canyon National Park, UT

Posted By Thomas Holst

Nice photo. Reminds me of an old Kodachrome ad.

April 14, 2010 05:33 AM Forum: Digital SLR AstroPhotography

M81 and M82

Posted By Thomas Holst

Great shot of a couple of my favorite objects. Thanks, Ivan.

May 6, 2010 06:49 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Watch your step....

Posted By Thomas Holst

So, what was the rattler's response after your camera's flash went off?

May 18, 2010 10:19 PM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Where do these fit?

Posted By Thomas Holst

What the heck is stuck to the nose gear on this plane? Mud flaps?!