My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Thomas Holst

September 8, 2011 04:44 AM Forum: Bad to the Bone Autos

P-3 Orion

Posted By Thomas Holst

Nice shot of a real workhorse. They've been around for 50 years and are sill going strong.

September 8, 2011 05:13 AM Forum: Politics

Obama at bat

Posted By Thomas Holst

That was great. Obama bats as well as he bowls.

September 12, 2011 08:02 PM Forum: Sports

I'd hate to be a Bulldog

Posted By Thomas Holst

It sucks to be a Bulldog...

September 12, 2011 10:06 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Celestron Power Supply

Posted By Thomas Holst

Although I don't have a Celestron labeled power supply, all the other 120vac > 12vdc power supplies I own put out around 14~15 no-load volts. That's about normal.

October 4, 2011 06:01 PM Forum: After Dark

Saturday Night Fright

Posted By Thomas Holst

As the sky darkened, the extent of the fire became apparent.

October 6, 2011 09:03 PM Forum: My Favorite WIMP.COM or YOUTUBE.COM

A new use for drones?

Posted By Thomas Holst

Now THAT was funny! Dumb cows. (Somehow it seems to have some political connotation as well.)

November 10, 2011 08:40 PM Forum: Astro Binoculars

10X70 vs 10X50 binos

Posted By Thomas Holst

Paulo,

The main difference between the two types of binoculars you mentioned will be the exit pupil size. The 10x50 will have an exit pupil diameter of 5mm and the 10x70 will have a 7mm exit pupil. If you are 20 years old, you can probably make use of the larger exit pupil but if you're over 50, the larger exit pupil will likely be of no advantage and you will be wasting your money on the larger objective lenses. You would likely be better off spending that money on a better quality 10x50 binocular.

My personal preference are high quality 7x50 (Porro prism) binoculars, not for the 7mm exit pupil but for the wider field of view they provide. (At 61, my pupils no longer fully open.) The lower magnification also makes it easier to hand-hold the binocular steady while scanning the sky, when I'm not using a tripod.

Whichever binocular you buy, immediately check them for proper collimation. Once the binocular is focused, both eyes should immediately bring both images together to form one image of an object (star, moon, etc.) If it takes a couple seconds for your eyes to adjust and bring the images together, the binocular is out of collimation and should be rejected. Usually only the best quality binoculars are in perfect collimation and with careful use, will stay that way.

January 19, 2007 08:22 PM Forum: Polls

Who wins?

Posted By Thomas Holst

Boise State could have beaten Ohio State!

March 6, 2009 01:16 AM Forum: Polls

The new administration ....

Posted By Thomas Holst

...at least they're honest about it. (see attched photo)

March 8, 2009 07:52 PM Forum: Polls

These drugs should be legal and taxed..

Posted By Thomas Holst

The correct response was not listed as a choice: Keep drugs illegal and execute drug dealers.