New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Jim Carpenter

April 22, 2005 04:22 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Greater Prairie Chickens: Displaying Male #1

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Jeff,
Great series -- I especially enjoyed your narration. It was almost like a mini-Natl Geographic article.

Jim

May 10, 2005 02:19 AM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Let me in, it's cold out here!

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Here he is on a warmer day. He comes by every day while I'm sitting inside having my morning java break and digs in my wife's flower boxes, looking for the peanuts he buries. D70/Sigma 70-300 APO.

May 13, 2005 02:05 AM Forum: Refractors

3 Apo vs. 4 Acro

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Jeff,
I have a Stellarvue SV85S doublet apo (f6.9) and a Stellarvue SV102EDT triplet achro (f6.2). Choosing between the two would be tough, since many would call the 102EDT a "semi-apo," but if I had to choose I'd probably go with the 85S on the strength of its better contrast and color performance.

Jim

May 16, 2005 04:18 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Morning at Kendrick Lake

Posted By Jim Carpenter

American White Pelican

May 16, 2005 04:22 PM Forum: Insects - Flowers and Other Small Stuff - Photos

Boulder Garden

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Another shot of the same area.

May 20, 2005 03:10 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Nikon D70 or D100 purchase

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Mike,
Nikon is in the process of replacing the D70 with a D70s, so there are some good deals available on the original D70 now. Look at DP Reviews http://www.dpreview.com/news/0504/05042003nikond70s.asp to see the differences, which are really minor. BTW, that site also shows a comparison with the new D50, a more basic version of the Nikon DSLR platform. I'm very happy with my D70, and like Brian I have the Sigma 70-300mm lens (plus the "kit" 18-70mm lens). There are minor issues with the Sigma lens that have been discussed at length on other forums, but nevertheless IMO it's the best deal for the money. I would only spend more if I were to get an image-stabilized lens.

Jim

May 22, 2005 01:46 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

DSLR question.

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Ron,

Here's the way I understand it, and I'll admit I may be wrong. Because many lenses designed for or used by DSLRs can also be used on 35mm SLR's, the lens nomenclature has remained the same for both types. The stated focal length is the actual focal length of the lens. The difference is the digital sensor size vs the 35mm frame size. That's where the "x-factor" comes in. I've never really been clear exactly how that effects to actual image (magnification, angle of incidence of the incoming light cone or whatever) because I've seen it explained in many different ways.

On the other hand, non-SLR digicams (including zoom lens types) typically rate their zoom lenses as an "x" times factor for the purpose of magnification. I believe the focal lengths are stated as "35mm equivalent," not as the true focal length. I could be wrong, but would have to assume that the DSLR "x-factor" (whatever it's measuring) would not apply to that type camera since the focal length is already stated in equivalent terms.

Jim

May 23, 2005 02:28 PM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

Chipping Sparrow

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Nice shot, Louis! Don't be reluctant to post here. I also lurked in the background quite a while before posting my photos. One can learn a lot from the folks on this forum.

Jim

May 28, 2005 02:31 PM Forum: Wildlife Photography

Triplets

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Stop it Kurt! If you keep posting pictures of armadillos and roadrunners, you're gonna make me want to move back to Texas What's next...a javelina? wink

Jim

May 31, 2005 03:42 AM Forum: Birding Optics and Photos

A trip to the old birding spot!

Posted By Jim Carpenter

Tyler,
I'd forgotten how much I missed your photos until you started posting again. Great work!

Jim