Posts Made By: Doug Peterson

August 26, 2006 05:00 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

Attaching Takahashi Tube ring to Vixen GP

Posted By Doug Peterson

The Vixen green dovetail is close to the Takahashi color, you need to supply two short screws and nuts to clamp them together thru unthreaded holes. Alternatively you can use the black dovetails from Orion, the 5" short one will bolt to the single 1/4-20 hole on the tube clamp.

December 2, 2006 12:21 AM Forum: Meade

Scopetronics

Posted By Doug Peterson

Is it only me, or should there be more outrage that this website continues to take money when it is now well known across the web that they are long gone? Can't someone just pull out the plug on the server?

December 2, 2006 12:27 AM Forum: Telescope Making

Roddier testing

Posted By Doug Peterson

Thanks John, this is a major advance for those of us who use interferometers at work but cannot afford one at home. Everyone has access to a plano wavefront with the star test, which subjective can be made quantitative with this type of instrumentation.

December 6, 2006 03:30 AM Forum: Chinese Optics Imports

Congradulations On Your TRIPLETS!

Posted By Doug Peterson

Astronomy Technologies. The larger one is based on FPL51. Apparently they are painted white, I would have liked to see them in those neat anodized options, like chrome, red, etc.

December 11, 2006 02:52 AM Forum: Investment Discussions

Fidelity 401k loan from hell

Posted By Doug Peterson

Yes bureaucratic incompetence is surely the answer. In fact my employer's plan administrator involvement was the only thing that got anything moving at all: then it occurred to me, I am not Fidelity's customer, my employer is.

December 16, 2006 04:20 AM Forum: Investment Discussions

Posted By Doug Peterson

I think it was in the movie Used Cars that Kurt Russell's motto was: get their attention, get their confidence, then get their money.

Seriously, it is now 8 weeks, no check in my mailbox. They won't even do anything until the 18th, then they reexamine the matter as lost mail. Who in their right mind would mail a check big enough for a down payment on a large house without any tracking, assuming after six weeks of excuses that it was even mailed? And with the security gauntlet I have to run just to talk to them on the phone, they just lick a stamp and toss it in the post? Not even registered mail? I think I am being had.

I am seriously considering taking legal action.

December 18, 2006 10:31 PM Forum: Investment Discussions

Posted By Doug Peterson

Incredibly, the envelope containing the 5-figure check was handed to me by the druggie next door--he received it in his mailbox! Good thing he didn't open it.

January 11, 2007 02:05 AM Forum: APM

130mm F9.25 TMB zero color triplet

Posted By Doug Peterson

Now that the seeing has cooperated, I can see that the in-focus airy disk and nearly non-existent first ring are excellent as well. It is almost eerie to rack thru focus and not see any color at all on whitish glints, just like a reflector, but no central obstruction. Moderate glints have that only-an-airy-disk, no-rings look of perfection.

January 11, 2007 02:20 AM Forum: AstroMart FAQ

How would other Astromarters view this

Posted By Doug Peterson

I can confirm this can happen. I shipped a perfectly collimated FS102 upstate and it arrived with loose screws, one which had come completely out. This according to the buyer, who confirmed no damage done and was happy with the scope, made no claim, etc., so I assume he was being honest with me.

January 18, 2007 07:49 AM Forum: Off Topic Discussions

Proof of the non-existence of UFOs

Posted By Doug Peterson

Looks like an out of focus image complete with fresnel rings. In fact the optical quality of the lens isn't bad. Interesting that all of the flyings disks are spherical and all exactly the same size, kinda like when you throw your scope out of focus on a star field.

http://wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=53820