Michael Scherman

Moon 2023

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Posts Made By: Christopher Anderson

October 22, 2006 04:48 PM Forum: Refractors

TAK or Televue? Decisions, decisions....

Posted By Christopher Anderson

Hello all. This is my first post here at this Forum. I am trying to make a decision about which imaging refractor to indulge in. I have a three year plan to upgrade my current platform to a high-end refractor and SBIG STL series CCD camera. As I said, it's a three year goal (it will take that many years of tax returns to see it to fruition!).

Step one is to invest in a new OTA. I've been all over the spectrum on what to get, but finally decided on a TAK FSQ-106n. Seems like it will be perfect for the wide field CCD imagery I hope to achieve, and is about in my price range (under $4000ish). Of course, they don't make it any more (or it is very very hard to come by; not interested in used). I've been quoted late spring to as far away as this time next year to get one.

I see now that Televue has their "imaging system" OTAs coming out. The NP101is looks similar to the FSQ, but is it really? I wonder if there are a lot of extras to get in order to bring it up to the ready state the FSQ appears to have. Of course, I know they both require stuff...

Anyone care to comment?

Thanks, CG

October 29, 2006 02:58 PM Forum: Equipment Talk

FLI PDF

Posted By Christopher Anderson

Bump! I, too, am interested in obtaining a good focusing device for my next new scope. This one has been recommended, over perhaps the Robofocus. Any users here?